Binding Mount Screw Up - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-07-2010   #1

lookout mnt., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Binding Mount Screw Up

got a new pair of skis and had them mounted, shop screws up and mounted both toe pieces 1/8 of an inch to the left. gonna need a remount, so i will have to either go forward or backward, which will effect the way it skis. also, if i end up not liking them and i want to sell them having a couple of mounts will effect the resale value. so do ya'll think the shop owes me a new pair or just a remount?

MCSkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010   #2

this suprisingly happens some what often. i would want a new pair of skis but i have never heard of anyone getting a new pair. they should definately remount for free and offer you some free tunes, mounts etc. (not that you would want to return to the shop i am sure) if it is a shop that sells skis they could maybe hook you up with a shop form for a new pair of skis. hope it all works out.

it wouldnt hurt letting us know where not to get our next pair of skis mounted as well.
catfishjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Yeah, I had that happen once, only it was off and slightly crooked. I left it alone, loved the skis for many years. You're unlikely to get new skis, and I'm not sure I'd go for a remount either, bindings ahead, bindings behind, center of ski is really crucial to performance. Perhaps they can comp you a different binding with a different drill pattern (this might be a stretch), that can get mounted in the proper place? Then cross your fingers and hope they get it right.
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010   #4

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
you should definitely get new skis period. Accidents happen and it sucks and its not that big o deal and all but... you brought them brand new skis. I used to work @ christy's in Avon and did a couple mis-mounts got a lot of shit from my boss and we replaced the skis. I would especially expect new skis if you paid full price and the shop you purchased them from is responsible for the damage. It used to be that you were only allowed to mount a pair of three time and now you're up two and haven't even skied them yet. However it probably doesn't affect the way they ski that much if at all. its the principality smokey.
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #5

lookout mnt., Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Yeah, I had that happen once, only it was off and slightly crooked. I left it alone, loved the skis for many years. You're unlikely to get new skis, and I'm not sure I'd go for a remount either, bindings ahead, bindings behind, center of ski is really crucial to performance. Perhaps they can comp you a different binding with a different drill pattern (this might be a stretch), that can get mounted in the proper place? Then cross your fingers and hope they get it right.
it's not "slightly" off, it's off by an 1/8 of an inch and the heel pieces are straight so the entire ramp angle is to the left. this makes them skechty because it places pressure on the toe piece which will lead to pre-release problems. didn't really inspect them(my fault) until i pulled them out of the car in the parking lot at breck. so i took a couple of runs. they turn really quickly to the left, slugish to the right and just feel plain weird overall. hoping for a new pair, but after talking to them on the phone i don't know, taking them in tomorrow so i won't call out the shop just yet.
Old 01-07-2010   #6

lookout mnt., Colorado
i no longer live in crested butte, so it ain't any shop in cb.
Old 01-07-2010   #7

castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
You should get new skis. Yes I had messed a mount up cause one of the rubber foots was off on the jig. Sounds like what happend to you. They got new skis for my mess up we sent them back to the factory we got new skis cause I/we were certified with that company. Sounds like that would not even pass a astm test
dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #8

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
1/8 of an inch laterally, seems like nothing to me (looking at a scale right now). But i am used to Tele skis mostly....which would barely effect performance. I wouldn't worry about it on teles (i've worked at shops and mounted 100 pairs)

However your Alpine skis maybe more of a problem, keep asking for compensation (even a discount on future gear). It sucks cause now its in your head about the skis performance
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #9

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSkid View Post
got a new pair of skis and had them mounted, shop screws up and mounted both toe pieces 1/8 of an inch to the left. gonna need a remount, so i will have to either go forward or backward, which will effect the way it skis. also, if i end up not liking them and i want to sell them having a couple of mounts will effect the resale value. so do ya'll think the shop owes me a new pair or just a remount?
If they move the toe pieces laterally to the right where they should be, you will end up having two toe mount holes touching each other, not good. You probably used your old bindings and they did not have the correct template pattern. I would demand (ask) for a new set of skies, they should of told you if they did not have the template for your bindings, instead of guessing where the holes should be. I use to mount my own bindings.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #10

x, x
Paddling Since: x
new skis. no doubt.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote