Beta - St. Paul Hut in Silverton - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-15-2009   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via Yahoo to Rhodes
Beta - St. Paul Hut in Silverton

Can anyone give some beta on the St. Paul hut in Silverton, CO? I'm just curious what the terrain is like, if there is high avy danger in that area, and if there are any maps you recommend that would be useful.
Thanks

Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009   #3

Duhrango
Terrain is pretty good and you can get to some moderate but short slopes close to the hut without avy danger. There are some places that will be more risky but close to the hut it's an OK slope/area just not much of it. Other side of the highway is pretty good too but more danger IMO. Never stayed there but skied by it several times.
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
These pics are from the east side of Red Mountain Pass this weekend. The St. Paul lodge is across the valley, just above treeline. Lots of good lines available, with skiing right to your vehicle!

lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
These pics are from the east side of Red Mountain Pass this weekend. The St. Paul lodge is across the valley, just above treeline. Lots of good lines available, with skiing right to your vehicle!
You got your directions mixed up. If the lodge was across the valley, you were skiing the west side of the Pass. The lodge is east of the highway.

How was the snowmobile use? It's been reported to have been a zoo in past years, but they now aren't allowed west of the highway and discouraged from the east.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadster View Post
You got your directions mixed up. If the lodge was across the valley, you were skiing the west side of the Pass. The lodge is east of the highway.

How was the snowmobile use? It's been reported to have been a zoo in past years, but they now aren't allowed west of the highway and discouraged from the east.
Yep, my bad. We were on the west side of the highway. I believe Porphyry Gulch is where we began our ascent, though we came down on the Mineral Creek side of the ridge.
There were lots of people and snowmobiles on the other side of the valley, but relatively few backcountry skiers, and no snowmobiles on the west side. Not to mention good coverage and excellent weather
Old 01-13-2010   #7

durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
I suspect you are lost most of the time, maybe you need a guide.
jonpowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpowder View Post
I suspect you are lost most of the time, maybe you need a guide.
I could have went for a guide, seeing how it was my first time skiing on RM. I think we found some decent lines though.

Most of the time I am in the Sawatch, and know it like the back of my hand...
Old 01-26-2010   #9
H2 Hoes

Kayak, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
Can anyone give some beta on the St. Paul hut in Silverton, CO? I'm just curious what the terrain is like, if there is high avy danger in that area, and if there are any maps you recommend that would be useful.
Thanks
of coures there is avy danger you should probably stay in denver. I herd breck got tons of snow.
Old 01-26-2010   #10
CGM

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartle View Post
of coures there is avy danger you should probably stay in denver. I herd breck got tons of snow.
FYI - your flame is a month old...but we found plenty of great skiing and really enjoyed ourselves. Thanks for your timely contribution to this thread...dick head.