BD 01 vs. Hammerheads - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-08-2009   #1

BD 01 vs. Hammerheads

Hey all,

My wife got me the 01's for Christmas this year. I was waiting to get a new pair of skis to put them on. I've decided on getting the Kilowatts.

However after talking to one of my buddies, he thinks I should put the Hammerheads on them. Instead, I should throw my 01's on my G3 Barons (I have G3 Targas on those).

I've never skied anything with the Hammerheads on them. I can't exactly remember all his reasons for going this route, but I was curious to read what you all have to say.

Thanks,

Steven

sgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009   #2
ric

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
O1's

I'm looking for a set of o1's myself, heard nothing but the best about them,
just trying to find a set under $300.? Will mount on my world piste!
I would say what ever skis your more likely to go ob or bc with put them on them for the reason of efficientcy in motion.
good luck
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
To throw one more in the mix, check out 7TM. I recently purchased the 7TM Power tour, and I think they are the way to go. The big thing for me with these bindings is DIN releasability, resistence free touring (which I think is the only way to go after trying it) and good tension when shredding. These bindings are heavier than either the hammer head or 01, but I don't notice the extra weight that much and the fact that they will eject if I am going to break myself is worth the extra weight. I am impressed with how well they are made, but will have to wait a few seasons to see if they hold up. Bigger boards create bigger forces on your legs, and being completely locked in can ruin your season.
iliketohike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009   #4

backcountry ski bum
The main advantage of the O1s is the free pivot for touring. It is a very active binding and skis very well compared to the HH. I would mount them on whatever ski you see yourself touring on more. I've been tele skiiing for 25 years and I really think the free pivot is the first real leap forward - as opposed to gradual evolution - for BC skiiing in tele gear in a long time.

If you stick mostly to lifts, It probably doesn't matter that much from a performance point of view. There is something to be said about a brand new pair of bindings on top of a brand new pair of skis though.
stillkicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Having skied both they both have advantages and disadvantages...They both ski pretty similar (depending on the cartgridge in the O1's) but the hammerheads can "lock" and prevent you from skiing really low (if you ski that low). The O1's have the advantage of being resistance free touring, but hammerhead just finished designing a binding that is also resistance free. Both are great bindings. One of the only gripes I have about the O1's is much they adjust by twisting without you knowing it. ????? Good luck I am sure whatever you end up with they will be sweet. Hace fun
teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009   #6

Rotorua, NZ
Ive got the 01s on my 185 kilowatts and they are awesome, very responsive and super easy to push uphill, great if you are going to tour a lot, i would recommend the set up highly. the hammerheads are also great, but in my opinion you cant go wrong with the kilos and the o1s
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric View Post
I'm looking for a set of o1's myself, heard nothing but the best about them,
just trying to find a set under $300.? Will mount on my world piste!
I would say what ever skis your more likely to go ob or bc with put them on them for the reason of efficientcy in motion.
good luck

The REI here in Bend has the 01's for sale for $209! You might want to check your local REI and/or REI.com
Old 02-08-2009   #8

Thanks for the response. I'm sure either binding will be great. I would hope that I will do most of my touring on the Kilowatts.

Anyhow, thanks again.
Old 02-09-2009   #9

Overseas, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
bd 01

I like the 01s better in all situations. I demoed the hammerheads and don't like them. I have a set of 01s on my mantras w/ the medium cartridges (I wish the chick @ Mountain Outfitters didn't talk me out of the stiff cartridges) and I love them for the park to the trek. The 01s will "walk" until you break them in, I had a ski ejection on my fourth run, now they are fine. 7tms look like my next crush.
eljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009   #10

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I am using 01's on a pair of Movement Free Heels and really like them for BC or the area.

One down side that I have heard is they can pull out of skis designed with weak core material.

I heard a good solution to the cartridges changing adjustments is to add some plumber's tape to the threads on the cables.