backcountry for kids - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-07-2011   #1

Louisville, Colorado
backcountry for kids

Buzzards,
We will be celebrating the big 40 for my hubby, and another father, with a three family hut trip to Chuck's on top of Vail Pass. The kids, four of them, will range in age from 8 to 12. We are looking for kid size solutions for the skin in and some mellow skiing. So far, for our little guy, we have come up with two options, one is the alpine trekker jr, the other is buying Silvretta Pure Kidz and chopping it down 1 cm (there is a TGR thread on this very subject). Anyone know of places to rent randonee equipment for kids in CO? Anyone have experience with these systems? Anyone wanna loan out an alpine trekker jr?

Thanks,
Briana

catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011   #2

You may just want to get some cheap used equipment and put skins on them. You'll be walking up hill most of the way to Shrine Pass.

Sport Plus in Denver has lots of used equipment for sale.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #3

Louisville, Colorado
So a little more background...
The kid is a good skier (can non-stop outhouse in nice turns) and has skis, boots, and poles. We don't want to buy randonee boots, aren't certain we could find them that small anyway, because he'll just grow out of them by next year. So we are looking for touring setups that would use his regular boots (sole length is 25.5 cm). I have an old set of skins we would make work for him. I need to cut them anyway to fix the hole the new pup chewed in the middle of my K2 Backstash skins (grrrrr).

I will check out sports plus Basil - maybe they have trekkers or Silvretta Pure Kidz, but I don't want to go all out randonee. Thanks for the suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If the dates dont conflict, you can borrow riley's treckers. His skins might be adjutable enough to work on ben's too.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #5

Randonee equipment doesn't really make sense for Shrine Pass, or an 8 year old. Touring with skins is all you need for both.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #6

Louisville, Colorado
Dave,
In the long run we definitely want to get the little guy touring, so we will end up buying something (and preferably somehting that we can use more than one season). But maybe we could borrow the trekkers for a day this winter just to give them a test run to help make up our minds. Then we can all go out together.
Old 11-08-2011   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Sure. I got him some old FRitchis, that I am planning to mount as both his main alpine set up as well as AT. I figure at 80lbs they'll be good enough for him for full resort.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #8

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I was thinking, if you can not find what you need maybe, set them up on telemark gear. they can always plant the heel and alpine away and it is easy to tour in and skin up for the feel of it just for a few days.

also, it is what i see most common for kids in the backcountry at an early teen year who do not quite fit the mens boot for AT.

there are a lot of womans tele boots that fit young kids, and bindings too. add skins.

boom.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #9

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
How about using a sled. Mom or Dad carry the kid's alpine stuff in the sled and let the young ones snowshoe to the good terrain?

I made a nice sled out of an inexpensive plastic utility sled, an old backpack waist belt and 2 sections of electrical conduit. I am much more comfortable with 100 lbs in the sled than I am with a 50 lbs pack.
kengore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #10

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Option 2: use an old style military binding mounted on some old kid's downhill boards.

like these...
U.S. G.I. Ski Bindings [084301] - $9.95 :: Colemans Military Surplus LLC - Your one-stop surplus store with Army/Navy products for hunting gear, camping gear, emergency products, and survival products

These bindings can be used 'free heel' or locked in for alpine style turns. They are universaly adjustable to almost any boot style or size. However, they are not releasible.
kengore is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
backcountry