Avy Vid (most incredible vid I ever seen) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 09-25-2009   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Avy Vid (most incredible vid I ever seen)

Sorry for the post.

Looks like this is old hat and already made the rounds on here.

My apologies

Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009   #2

Longmont, Colorado
That was intense watching that, thanks for posting!

Crazy to see how viral it's going as well. 39,000+ views today
crackeryaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #3

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Any of you use an avalung?

After seeing that, I will have one this season.

Anyone have a link to a review or something that describes how it works. Do you ski with it in your mouth? Even with about a three minute response time as shown here, it probably saved this dude from blacking out. My heart has been in my throat since seeing this video last week.

Finally, has anyone confirmed this is real? I can't imagine staging something like this, but I am pretty naive when it comes to the nuances of internet fraud.
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009   #4
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
The avalung didn't stay in. Do what you need, but it didn't work for him.

It's clearly an avalanche. I find it hard to believe someone would drop into something they knew was going to rip out just to make a fraud video. I guess it's possible, but I'd consider this real.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #5

Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
On Vimeo, Chappy who posted it says the guy who was buried "had a lot of Utah and Alaska backcountry experience." The guy who dug him out first was using a Lexan plastic shovel. The victim also was skiing with pole straps on in the backcountry. This did make his glove fall off, giving rescuers a good idea of his location, but this is the exception not the rule. Who still carries plastic rescue shovels? Super packed snow from a slide can bend and break heavy duty aluminum, while mild prying can snap Lexan in stiff wind crust or spring snow (this is worsened in cold weather, which last time I was there, they still have a bit of in Alaska.) You must be prepared to be caught in an avalanche when skiing that kind of terrain, including remembering that if you can still breath, you have to slow it down and force yourself to be calm. I can rant all day, but when it comes down to it, the guy who was buried is very lucky. I would love to see a report of what if any injuries he sustained and an interview on how he sees avy danger now.
LET IT SNOW!
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #6

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by powdahound76 View Post
On Vimeo, Chappy who posted it says the guy who was buried "had a lot of Utah and Alaska backcountry experience." The guy who dug him out first was using a Lexan plastic shovel. The victim also was skiing with pole straps on in the backcountry. This did make his glove fall off, giving rescuers a good idea of his location, but this is the exception not the rule. Who still carries plastic rescue shovels? Super packed snow from a slide can bend and break heavy duty aluminum, while mild prying can snap Lexan in stiff wind crust or spring snow (this is worsened in cold weather, which last time I was there, they still have a bit of in Alaska.) You must be prepared to be caught in an avalanche when skiing that kind of terrain, including remembering that if you can still breath, you have to slow it down and force yourself to be calm. I can rant all day, but when it comes down to it, the guy who was buried is very lucky. I would love to see a report of what if any injuries he sustained and an interview on how he sees avy danger now.
LET IT SNOW!
Warning, playing devils advocate here:

Not to be a dick, but ANYONE who comes out of an avalanche alive is lucky.

The Lexan Vs Metal argument is in my opinion pretty weak way to label these guys as "inexperienced." Personally, I want my buddies carrying metal shovels when traveling with me. That being said, there is a lot of evidence showing that some of the Lexan ones are just as strong. Check around online for reviews/sites. Like I said, I'd want to be dug out with metal blades, but I think it is a flimsy way to claim these guys were "inexperienced".

As far as the pole straps go... I'm a snowboarder. So I never really thought about this. I will say though it seems like an easy thing to forget about even for an experienced BC skier. I piss everyday, and yet I still sometimes forget to zip my fly... does that mean I'm inexperienced, no.

The breathing... have YOU ever been caught in an avalanche? I don't care how experienced you are. That shit is scary, I can't say my breathing would be ANY different.

Moving on... IF you really wanted to call this guy inexperienced I think the better argument would have been to point out that he opted to not do one last skier cut across that would have more then likely triggered the avalanche, and he'd have never been in the meat of it.

Anyway... I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I was reading a lot of the BS comments people had about "he shoulda this" and "he didn't that" on the site, and it's easy to call the shots from your computer chair. The guy could have been smarter for sure, but even if he had done EVERYTHING right this still could have happened. It is just the risk we take in the BC. I personally commend his buddies for making a calm and quick recovery. Sure the glove made it easier, but if these dudes had started freaking out they may have missed the glove all together or even triggered another avalanche. I think they did a great job, and I'm thankful the victim seemed to be ok and was nice enough to post his experience for us all to learn from.
Old 09-28-2009   #7

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Disclosure:

He came through alive. Luckier than most and it speaks to the ability of his team to get him out fast.

I've broken lexan and aluminium shovels.

Monday morning quarterbacking is what peole do here. I have never had to do a backcountry rescue. The largest slides I've been a part of were up to the knees, so fortunately I've never had to respond in anything other than practice. I have not used, and scoffed at the idea of an Ava Lung. I will now purchase one unless someone tells me the video was a fraud. Even then, I may.
Old 09-28-2009   #8

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
He came through alive. Luckier than most and it speaks to the ability of his team to get him out fast.

I've broken lexan and aluminium shovels.

Monday morning quarterbacking is what peole do here. I have never had to do a backcountry rescue. The largest slides I've been a part of were up to the knees, so fortunately I've never had to respond in anything other than practice. I have not used, and scoffed at the idea of an Ava Lung. I will now purchase one unless someone tells me the video was a fraud. Even then, I may.
Maybe I read the caption wrong, but from what I can tell... THE AVALUNG WAS NOT IN HIS MOUTH
Old 09-28-2009   #9

Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Not once did I say "inexperienced". I did mention several mistakes I noticed in the video that could make one think that. As far as studies that show that Lexan is as good as plastic, I have an official report (that I am writing) that says I can ski as well as Seth Morrison. Bush said we had good reason (besides making Halliburton rich) for going to Iraq and Obama says we are gonna have healtcare for all and not raise deficit spending. Been buried in an avalance, no. Been in life and death experiences where slowing down and making as calm of decisions as possible saved my life, yer damn right. I have been swept from my feet by a slide and had the shit scared out of me. I do wear an Avalung and have since they became available. I have yet to ski a slope with it in my mouth. It sits unzipped and extended by my right cheek so I can grab in and put it in if I am caught in a slide. I do think it would be difficult to ski some steep and deep while breathing through an Avalung. In the world I work in we look at this as critical incident analysis more than Monday morning QBing as a process to help ourselves learn. I must agree with Malozzi that the recovery was fast and safely executed. nice work to the rescuers.
LET IT SNOW!
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #10

Indian Hills, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmalozzi View Post
I piss everyday, and yet I still sometimes forget to zip my fly... does that mean I'm inexperienced, no.
Awesome.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote