AT setup questions.. - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-17-2011   #1

The next zone, .
AT setup questions..

Ok buzzards I am thinking of buying a AT setup and am looking for some advice on what to get or ideas of what to start to look at....

My background is that I currently sled access the BC 2-3 times a week for pow and ride my snowboard. I dont need a ski to cruse groomers around the resort as I will still use my snowboard for that. I am 6'4" tall with a kinda wide foot that is size 13 and 210 lbs - pry 240 lbs easy with all my gear on. I did ski for a bunch of years 8 - 10 when I was young, ski raced, and still can get around fine on a alpine set up. This set up will be mainly for Pow, BC, and getting around with skins on...

So I am just lookin for recommendations on what to look at as far as boots, bindings, and ski's. Used is fine for the ski's and bindings but I will pry go to a shop and find the right boot - as far as boots are some better for riding sleds as this set up will be used with sleds. Also what shops are best - in salida, leadville, glenwood, apsen, or summit as that is close and I dont want to drive to denver to get fitted but will if I have to..

Also as a bigger guy are there bindings to stay away from or that are better? As far as size what would you all recommend as a size range on the ski's? I do like the rocker/camber snowboards that are out there so where do i start? Durable is more important to me than super light weight as I tend to be hard on equipment.

I have ridden a snowboard for the past 20+ years and love it.. I just want to be able to get around a bit better in some situations.

Thanks in advance...

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011   #2
Fry

The OC, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Fritschi Freerides are pretty durable. I have skied them in and out of area for years and never had a problem. I am 6' 1", 180 pounds. The most weight I have had on the bindings is probably about 220.
Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011   #3
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Do go by the Gear Exchange in Glenwood to see what they have on hand. A good place for used gear.
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011   #4

If you're not skiing inbounds and primarily touring for pow don't even think about a binding other than Dynafits.

If you're touring for pow mount them on a big fat ski with tip and tail rocker. If you don't envision skiing much hard snow definitely just go for the full rocker setup.

Try on a bunch of AT boots and get the burliest AT boots that fit your foot. The boots are a limiting factor and the burliest AT boots aren't exactly stiff.

For touring for pow I ski a DPS Lotus 138 with Dynafit bindings and Dynafit Titan boots. That ski isn't exactly versatile and I take something else if I'm going to encounter much hard snow...but touring for anything but pow seems like wasted effort.
Old 01-17-2011   #5
Fry

The OC, Colorado
Yep, I'm thinking about Dynafits since I have quit riding the lifts.
Old 01-17-2011   #6
Fry

The OC, Colorado
And I would not buy used AT bindings or boots.
Old 01-17-2011   #7

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet View Post
If you're not skiing inbounds and primarily touring for pow don't even think about a binding other than Dynafits.

If you're touring for pow mount them on a big fat ski with tip and tail rocker. If you don't envision skiing much hard snow definitely just go for the full rocker setup.

Try on a bunch of AT boots and get the burliest AT boots that fit your foot. The boots are a limiting factor and the burliest AT boots aren't exactly stiff.

For touring for pow I ski a DPS Lotus 138 with Dynafit bindings and Dynafit Titan boots. That ski isn't exactly versatile and I take something else if I'm going to encounter much hard snow...but touring for anything but pow seems like wasted effort.
This is good advice. The newer Dynafit bindings go to 12 DIN, which are good for someone of your size. I also have the Titan boot and love it, but there are other options for burly boots, try them all on and get the one that fits right. As far as skis, thats probably the least important decision compared to boots and bindings, but lightweight and wide is the way to go. My choice is the PM Gear 186 Lhasa Pow.
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011   #8

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
my .02

lets start w/ skis. Id be lookn for somthing around 110 underfoot w/ at least some rocker in the tip. The range of modern pow skis is huge right now so defenetly shop around for something that you think will fit your style. For an ex-racer lookn to get back on it I'd look hard @ the K2 Sidestash.

binders: If cost is no object the dynafit system is the best the downside is you need a dynafit compatible boot and they are pricey. Fritchis are good but not enough for a guy who is 240 w/ size 13. I'd go w/ the marker dukes. not as good at touring as some of the others but they are bomber! and work w/ all boots.

boots: in my opion ski boots haven't chnaged at all since you last skied. I like stiff race boots that fit like a glove and haven't been able to find an AT boot to my liking yet. atomic and solomon are making a race style boot w/ a walk mode and a rubber sole that I 've been eyen. Scarpa and garmounts are great and worth a look. They are way way lighter and proly better for ridn sleds or be in crampons... Your boots are the most important part of you setup so take your time and find something you really like.

Good Luck
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The Garmont Radium is dynafit compatible and pretty light. Some guys on TGR were talking about putting a big over bot on over their boots for sled riding. Might not be big enough to go over a size 13 ski boot.

Also from my limited sled experience, a straight tail can strap next to the seat cleaner, if you don't spring for the nicer racks.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011   #10
Skyles

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I think you should not look for an AT set up. You sound very good at snowboarding and should embrace that as a strength. i live in durango and there are some amazing split boarders that board every day here and embrace thier roots in the backcountry. Venture snowbords have some of the best boards out there and the change overs on the slopes are fast and easy. Do more research on split boards you wont be disapointed.
bnskyles is offline   Reply With Quote