Any body out there Kite Skiing? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-06-2007   #1

Any body out there Kite Skiing?

Hey. Is anyone on the buzz into kite skiing/boarding? I would really like to learn how without spending the $200 I would need to take a real lesson. I and a history of flying stunt kites, and the skiing part is not an issue. I also have access to gear I could borrow, my buddy who owns the gear, just had a kid so he cant take me out.

ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
kiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy View Post
Hey. Is anyone on the buzz into kite skiing/boarding? I would really like to learn how without spending the $200 I would need to take a real lesson. I and a history of flying stunt kites, and the skiing part is not an issue. I also have access to gear I could borrow, my buddy who owns the gear, just had a kid so he cant take me out.
I've done it a couple times. A handful of people here in Durango are very skilled and are catching some big lift and getting some big airtime. Best advice is to buy a trainer kite and learn to fly it one handed and even without looking at the kite. Then next winter go on a frozen lake and log a couple hundred miles. Takes a few days. My first experience was on lizard head pass early winter and not the best way to learn.

Check out inferno snowboards. Greg can tell you a lot more and he's selling kites now.

Ciao

Mike.
hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #3

St. John's, Alabama
I do a lot of kite skiing and snow kiting. I first picked up a Snowkite on a mountain trip in Newfoundland's gros Morne National Park's tableland mountains and it totally changed my life. Kite Skiing is a great way to get around the mountains and an ideal too for any mountaineer or mountain lover. When the wind is right the kite and just zip you up the mountain. Since falling in love with kiting i have been operating a kite school and posting videos and photos of snow kiting and kite skiing in Newfoundland Camada on my Martin Hanzalek Newfoundland blog. If you want to know more about kite skiing and how to integrate it into your mountaineering or mountain travel let me know. I really love the sport and want to support anyone that is getting into it.
Martinhanzalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012   #4

x, x
Paddling Since: x
PM blurred or blurredelevens, should have an account here and on tgr also pm summit if you have trouble finding him, they are friends.

he is the kite king around i-70 and summit county. i always see him flying his kite, and would be a good go to guy as he is always out, and looking for folks to fly with.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #5

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
A couple guys in the Ark valley getting out. PM me if you want a contact.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #6

The Bitterroot, Montana
My soon too be wife kills it. She rips big waves and some snow in Wyoming. I want to learn and she wants people to kite with around Missoula. Ever up this way drop me a line and I will pass the word on. She goes around Yellowstone at island park a bit.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #7

Calgary, Alberta
Kite skiing sounds awesome! Out here in Alberta there are a ton of wide open areas lakes and mountains to try that...... I am going to see if I can find some of this out here now!
Inhousewebsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012   #8

sickness!
Old 03-19-2012   #9

colorado, Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
where you live at? I just moved to Glenwood Springs and have a little kite sking miles under my belt. always looking for partners
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #10
giesend

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Beetle, where do you kite around Glenwood? I just moved to Junction and have been up on the Mesa a bit, it seems like it could be really good if I could hit the wind right.
bluechev83 is offline   Reply With Quote