Altitude sickness - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-31-2006   #1

Altitude sickness

Destination= Vail, a-bain, keystone and breckenbridge. Colorado
Well this is a bomer, some of you guys made realize of this problem, yes i live in florida. This is the story, I lived in the past for 12 years at about 8500ft in colombia, its 4 of us traveling 1 of us not skiyng. I am starting to have second thouths of this trip. Some people tell me that its no problem, and other are not that positive. My question is how come so many people travel to this destinations and do fine? Should i look for another destination? I really dont wana look into another destination but if I have to I will.

Any help is greatly apreciated, I thought of doing Vail the first day since its a lower altitude. I am sleeping in frisco, co I am guessing that is at a even lower altitude, so it should help at night.

Any advice, I really dont want to change my destination, one reason being I am visiting some familly at denver too.

fet123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2006   #2
cma

Boulder
I've seen planty of people come here from sea level without any problems, just drink alot of water (stay hydrated) and take it easy on the alcohol and you should be fine.
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma
I've seen planty of people come here from sea level without any problems, just drink alot of water (stay hydrated) and take it easy on the alcohol and you should be fine.
Well I dont drink alcohol, and I dont think anyone in party does either. as far as water I drink a lot of water daily but thats just part of a normal rutine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2006   #4

Indian Hills, Colorado
I've seen some people get real sick, or at least not enjoy themselves as a result of altitude. Ideally, you'd spend a day or two on the front range at around 6000 ft to acclimate. You mentioned that you are a park rat. You could consider spending a night or two in Denver/Boulder and riding Echo Park. It's open til around 9 or 10, night sking. No real terrain, but I understand it's got a great terrain park. After a few days at 5k-7k, you'll probably be fine for 11k. Or just cross your fingers and head up the hill. Good luck.
http://www.echomtnpark.com/
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Frisco's at about 9000 ft. Vail's at about 8000. If you're concerned about altitude sickness, your best bet would be to stay in Denver for the first night or two, driving up to the high-altitude ski areas.

Also please do us all the favor of proof-reading your posts before hitting the "submit" button. There's even a "spell check" button right below the text entry box.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #6

salida, Colorado
proofreading, whatgivemeabreak....
altutide siknes isa funnny thhinng efffects us alll different;y.....
sounds like your knowledeggable about the warning signs...keep drinking ur water

hows that for spellcheck
psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu96
proofreading, whatgivemeabreak....
altutide siknes isa funnny thhinng efffects us alll different;y.....
sounds like your knowledeggable about the warning signs...keep drinking ur water

hows that for spellcheck

Thanks yeah i guess ill just buy one of those backpack water things, and I am good to go.

k thanks
Old 08-31-2006   #8

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I had a friend and employee fly in from Indiana to Denver on to A-Basin in the same day to install water pumps for A-basin's snow making. Upon climbing Loveland pass, he began to feel ill. So my buddy took him to their condo at Keystone to rest thinking he had food poisoning or caught a bug. This guy proceeded to blow chow and worsened over the night.

The next day, I came visit him and found his employee in total misery, still quezy with dry heaves and coughing. He gave me the background and I said this looks to be altitude sickness. So we took him to the Frisco Medical Center to have him checked out. They looked at him and diagnosed him with high altitude pulmonary edema. They immediately put him on an IV and transported him down to a lower elevation Denver hospital. He was better the next day. However, they said he could have possibly died with one more day at altitude as his lungs were filling up with liquid.

This is an extreme case. I have had other lowland friends that get head aches, sinus problems, nausea, and are easily tired. So hydrate and let you body be your guide on how hard to push yourself and you should be ok.
Old 08-31-2006   #9

Vail, Colorado
Nice Andy H. Classic stuff. I would suggest staying in the front range and skiing on the rolling hills, nothing too much more in elevation or difficult. I am kidding. Chill in D-Town or Trustafarian Nation (Boulder) for a night or so then head on up the mountain at 125 mph, kidding. Dring tons-o-water, as everyone said. If anyone is feeling nausia drink a clear carbinated soda (7-up or Sprite suger free is better for you). That has always worked for people visiting me from low elevations. Oh, no drinking alcohol, what are ya, crazy??? We have awesome breweries in Colorado. Sac up and have a few. Best of luck.

"If you're not against me, don't cross this line! If yes, do."-Steve Zissou
Steve Zizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #10

take some aspirin too, that helps. And I mean aspirin, not ibu or tylenol.
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote