Lost: WS EZ anf AT Paddle on Lower Clear Creek - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Lost & Found

Old 05-31-2010   #1
ec

A-Town!, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Lost: WS EZ anf AT Paddle on Lower Clear Creek

Well, today was my turn. I flipped in the second drop in Screaming Quarter Mile on Lower Clear Creek on 5/31, took some brutal blows, swam, and lost my boat and paddle above the dam...yard sale style. They went thru the dam, but we couldn't find them anywhere.

Funny thing is my water bottle showed up in the play park, but we never saw the boat or paddle again. It is a Robin Green Wavesport EZ...looks like a Military Green color. The lost paddle is an old AT bent shaft paddle.

It was very weird going home without my gear on my rack. sucks big time. I am hoping at least one of them shows up!

My name and number are on both of them. Please call if you find them. Beer reward awaits you.

Thanks.

Erik

ec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010   #2

Golden, Colorado
You might want to check the river right wall above the dam after the flow goes down. I've seen a few boats end up splatted against that wall.

The City of Golden council voted within the past year to stop charging for rescues in the canyon, but just in case you might want to contact the Golden Fire Department's swiftwater rescue team and give them a description of the boat and tell them nobody is hurt.... so they don't find the boat and use the number inside of it to call you and then ambush you when you show up at the fire station and hand you a bill for over $2,000.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010   #3
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Golden S&R will not charge for a boat removal. However, if it didn't show up in the park, chances are it's being trashed in one of Coor's many lowheads and other nasties. Good luck. I got lucky when I swam there last year.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010   #4
ec

A-Town!, Colorado
Thanks for the posts. We looked at the right wall after the dam, but we couldn't see my boat in there, and at this level it didn't look like it would hold a boat, but you never know. That is a burly wall/wave.

I spoke to Jerry at Golden Fire/Rescue. He told me they would look out for my boat.

Erik
Old 06-01-2010   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I thought I saw a green hull in the intake channel, just above the RV park, on river left. Since it was down a ways into the channel & we had to got right, I didn't paddle close enough to be sure it was a boat. But it looked bright green and partially submerged.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010   #6
ec

A-Town!, Colorado
Someone found my paddle above the playpark today above the bridge. Picked it up, but it's unfortunately trashed. Shaft is busted in the middle.

I got a call from another guy this afternoon who found my boat on an island in Arvada. He said its "dented". I'll find out how bad it is tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2010   #7

Golden, Colorado
Wow, that's the first time I've heard of a boat going that far from the canyon. A good reminder to put a good phone # in the boat... you never know when it is going to end up in Kansas and get found by a friendly farmer.

Maybe tell swiftwater rescue to take it off their list. The reason I mentioned them in the first place is because they handed me a bill for over $2000 for finding my boat a long time ago.... though they don't do it anymore I wouldn't want to have to deal with them if they ever change their mind.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #8
ec

A-Town!, Colorado
Ture, I'll give that guy at the Fire Dept a call.

Too bad on my boat. The "dents" are severe. Its done. I think I'll salvage my paddle and make a break down paddle out of it.