Lost Raft on San Juan - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-09-2015   #1

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Lost Raft on San Juan

My friend is looking for a 14' raft that was lost on the San Juan on 7/5 in the flash. They were down from Mexican Hat heading to Clay Hills. I think a 14' blue boat, I'm waiting for more info. The D ring pulled off so all she found was her bow line and D ring . She is looking for it now. Please call or text ER @ 315 569 0003 if you have any information. Thanks

canoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015   #2

cedar city, Utah
Have ya'll contacted Glen Canyon National Recreation Area? If not, you may want to send them a pdf flyer with relevant information that they can hand out to boaters launching for the San Juan Arm region. Sadly its less traveled but someone may stumble upon it if it was not found between the flashing drainage and Clay Hills.

Best of luck.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #3

Salida, 81201
Paddling Since: 1995
Yeah hope you get it back. That is a bad day on the river. We were down at Slick Horn B that night. Our boats were up in the Tammies in the morning. No stray boat down to Clay Hills. Two boat were lost upstream of us that night too...was that you canoa?
thinksnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015   #4
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
That sucks. Trusting your boat to one d ring is never a good idea.

I would think it has made it to powell by now.
Old 07-09-2015   #5

Tabernash, Colorado
ThinkSnow- I think my friend was in the the group you heard about. It was a group of 5 with three boats. They put all their stuff on one boat and rowed out. Said it was 25 miles to Clay Hills. They found one raft in the falls below Clay Hills.
Old 07-09-2015   #6

Tabernash, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
Have ya'll contacted Glen Canyon National Recreation Area? If not, you may want to send them a pdf flyer with relevant information that they can hand out to boaters launching for the San Juan Arm region. Sadly its less traveled but someone may stumble upon it if it was not found between the flashing drainage and Clay Hills.

Best of luck.

Phillip
Yes I think they did a fly over and found one raft in the falls below Clay Hills.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-09-2015   #7

Tabernash, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoa View Post
My friend is looking for a 14' raft that was lost on the San Juan on 7/5 in the flash. They were down from Mexican Hat heading to Clay Hills. I think a 14' blue boat, I'm waiting for more info. The D ring pulled off so all she found was her bow line and D ring . She is looking for it now. Please call or text ER @ 315 569 0003 if you have any information. Thanks
Here is the info on the type of raft-

Hyside, 14ft, name/number on back right tube. Pole cat sawyer oars yellow and black, name/number on there too, as well on the spares

Thanks again for any help.
Old 07-11-2015   #8

Winter Park, Colorado
Boat recovered. Sitting in San Juan arm of the lake. Capi Juan thanks for posting on here. ThinkSnow we stopped to talk to you I believe, one person in a duckie paddle up to your camp. Also think you were the group above us at Honaker the first night (Friday).
FYI we didn't loose the boat because of the one d ring. There was another rope that snapped too. The rope found was attached to the other boat and was on that boat. The boat probably rode together until the falls. Boats where about 5 feet on shore, while beach gave way, the force ripped them both off.
Why does there always need to be that person that thinks they know better?
Boat-ERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015   #9

Salida, 81201
Paddling Since: 1995
WOW I'm glad you found both boats. Yeah we were at Honaker the night before, and Slick horn the night of. You know if we could have done anything we would have to help out. We all are one big family out on the river. Cheers & SYOTR
thinksnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015   #10

cedar city, Utah
Congrats, that is a great ending to a rough experience.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote