Lost oars on Ark - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-22-2015   #1

colorado springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Lost oars on Ark

Lost an old rope wrapped wooden oar in the Gorge on the Ark Sun 6/21. Nine footer with a fiber glass repair to paddle. Help=Beer

hichek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I lost one too. Red tubular webbing tether snapped. Brass ring will still be on 9' cataract with rope wrap, oar right and Dynelite blade.
Old 06-22-2015   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Good luck getting the oars back, y'all. By the way, peer reviewed double blind control studies have shown that if you include detailed stories and update the swim board it'll increase your chances of getting your gear back by 97.6%. Yes, really!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2015   #4

colorado springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Lost wooden oar

Here is the story popped an oar at the bottom of sunshine with enough violence to break/untie the tether while trying to get my spare I got flipped at the end of graveyard about a minute before sledgehammer which I ran perched like a rat on the bottom of my cat. Self rescued in time to get stopped short of the narrows (huge). In the narrows I got slammed into the left wall where of course there was a handy piece of iron to rip the bottom out of my left front tube. Ran the rest of the narrows and wall slammer backwards dragging my waterlogged front tube.
Managed to get stopped before boat eater and folded the damaged chamber over the back one which I then moved foreword to be under the center of gravity. Ran BE and corner pocket like that. Figure river goddess owes me that oar for pulling(lucking out) that off. All captured on gopro
hichek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015   #5
DailyBoater

Wheredat, USA
That was a f***ed up run there! Heck of a video to watch.
johnryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015   #6
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Lets see that video... that sounds gnarly!
Old 06-24-2015   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Here ya go:

After hearing the story I was sorry I asked about it. The video gets pretty painful after the tube blows out on some of that "historic" scrap metal they've got down in the Gorge. That junk gives me the willies every time I float past it!

...Gotta wonder what it would take to put a cutting torch with a long hose on a rail service car some day in winter when flow's at a minimum. Talk about man-made hazards in the river!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Thanks for posting that, what a ride!
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Painful after the blowout? I thought it was pretty painful to watch after the first oar pop. I'd consider the oar a gift to the rivergods after that event.
Old 06-24-2015   #10

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Im going to be honest my bro.You're a hot mess.Swap out the oar rights to pins and clips. Get all that rope off your foot bar and hit the curlers head on and dont you ever under any circumstance be the lead boat. hope this helps.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote