Mountain Buzz banner

Found: NRS raft San Juan River arm of Lake Powell

5K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  zbaird 
#1 ·
Found an NRS raft on the San Juan River arm of Lake Powell on June 23, 2019. Assuming there's not too many people rafting below Clay Hills, I'm guessing the boat was lost further upstream. Please contact me if you think this might be your raft. 505-516-6453 or email adam.barkalow@gmail.com

#2 ·
This is from the Utah Rafters facebook page:

REWARD OFFERED for lost rafting gear below Piute Falls! Yes, three rafts tied together departed from Slickhorn C on the San Juan the night of June 16th.
Found rubber from two and frames but nothing else. Fresh tire tracks and footprints yesterday. Any help would be appreciated. Tie them up good!
970-379-2369
Basalt, CO

#12 ·
Curious as well to here the whole story. The water level plummeted during that time period, huge drop in flows. That combined with the steep banks at Slickhorn maybe had something to do with it. Line tied short and tight, then the water dropped away putting big strain on the tie off, without the boats touching bottom. Thats my theory.

#20 ·
And don't use pitiful little Tammies for tie off anchor! Why on earth would anyone depend on one or two ropes to hold all the boats? Its really not rocket science! Tie each boat individually, and run a cam strap frame to frame, (if boat parking allows for side by side parking.)
That way is one boats tie off fails, you got all the other boats backing up the one boat. If you don't have a long stern (& bow line) clip an extra throwbag on and use ONLY as a stern line. (Bonus, comes in very handy if you are derigging, rolling boat too, having a bow/stern line! Half hitches work fine if you got a solid anchor, (I always pull piece of rope through half hitch loop to "lock knot" although its not really necessary.
Hopefully, that "can I just tie off to your boat" question, (except in certain situations, like havasu parking, or temporary stop) has been put to rest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.