Found 14' avon with everything on Lodore - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Lost & Found

Old 08-29-2012   #1

frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Found 14' avon with everything on Lodore

On 8/22 we found a partially deflated avon jambed in an under cut. We patched the hole, bent the frame back with a rock, re rigged everything, used spare oars from other boats, took it on down the river, and drank your beers for you. We were met at the take out by the ranger and we loaded the boat on his trailer. You have probably reposesed your stuff by now and were glad to have it but a little bummed because your super cool padded front seat with custom mounting board was missing along with your camera. Well good news, we have them. I even took a bunch of photos so you can remember this surely unforgettable trip. I hope no one was hurt and you get your stuff. Every thing was labelled with the name "Murray" and had a Vail phone #? The funny thing is none of us had the where with all to write it down. PM me if you are the Murrys or know them.

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012   #2

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
You got any photos of said mangled boat and/or its recovery? I'm guessing they would be interesting to say the least. And yes, hope the Murray group came out ok.
yesimapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #3
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Any chance you can read the phone number written on their gear zooming in on the photos you took?
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012   #4

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Very interesting, where in the canyon did you find the boat?
Old 08-29-2012   #5

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
My guess: The undercut at Disaster.

Good for you doing all that recovery. Bob and group get a Hero of the Year nomination.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Interesting story. Did you call the rangers and get the number? The story makes for a good post, but I hope your not relying solely on thread to get the camera and custom seat back to their owner...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #7

frisco, Colorado
As with most river stories, I embellished a bit. I don't know the name of the rapid or if it has one. It was against an undercut cliff wall on river right maybe 1-2 miles above Kolb. The river was seperated by a gravel bar and the preferred run is left. The boat was barely visible however the diamond plated frame was about a foot above water. It would have been a very sporty removal so we decided to leave it. At the time we did not know it was an Avon and thought it was just a Vanguard. We camped at Kolb and the next morning the raft was hung up on some rocks just above us. It was pretty simple as far as these things go, but set us back a couple hours. This is really my only attempt to find the owners, I refuse to call the ranger because he is not a nice person and the Buzz will surely yield better results than the federal govt.
Old 08-29-2012   #8
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I know the spot! Below Lower Disaster, the river fans out, a big gravel fan develops as the river bends gently left and the scenary deceives the unwary into thinking the deep channel is to the right along the "cut bank" outside wall/undercut! NOT! Rules are meant to be broken! Very HUGE of you to get that boat out and bring it down river with you to be returned to its owner! Graci! Graci! Graci!
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #9

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I was part of that group. The NPS did contact the respective boat owner before any word reached them from here. Needless to say, thank you very much for your time and effort in bringing the boat out.
betdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #10

frisco, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by betdel View Post
I was part of that group. The NPS did contact the respective boat owner before any word reached them from here. Needless to say, thank you very much for your time and effort in bringing the boat out.
PM me a phone number so we can get the rest of the stuff back to them