Zoik inflatables? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 05-18-2009   #1

gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Zoik inflatables?

Has anyone heard of or used a Zoik inflatable kayak? These are out of Durango, CO. I just bought one, and was currious if anyone else has seen one of these. zoikinflatables.com

thedojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009   #2

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Don't know about their IKs, but the rafts are Woosung glued PVC also sold as Star.
Old 05-19-2009   #3

Crested Butte, Colorado
First post:

Just picked up two tandems and...

Boats track super well. Very, very maneuverable...fast. Punch through waves. Full boats drain quickly. Comfortable height above water and dimensions/geometry make for efficient and ergonomic paddle strokes. (I use a 230cm paddle)

Love the seat...I was a bit skeptical, but super comfortable!

Picked these up for the kids to track along during family raft trips, but finding myself testing them out on the spring runoff around here...

Additionally, I know of the owner of the Zoik boats and I do not think they have anything to do with Star (they may be made in the same factory? as 60% of all PVC inflatables are made there...so I have been told)...I believe this is a standalone, new independent company.

check: ZOIK - Kayaks, Rafts, Inflatables, Rafting Accessories for more background
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009   #4

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Salamander, didn't mean to imply that Zoik was affiliated with Star, just looked at the 15' raft on their website and saw that the unique raised floor design and 26" tubes were exactly the same as the Star Superbug. Same boat, different label.
Old 05-19-2009   #5

Crested Butte, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riparian View Post
Salamander, didn't mean to imply that Zoik was affiliated with Star, just looked at the 15' raft on their website and saw that the unique raised floor design and 26" tubes were exactly the same as the Star Superbug. Same boat, different label.
Ahhhh, got it and copy that.

What is up with the yellow double underline company in my first post?...I did not do that.
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #6

., .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riparian View Post
Don't know about their IKs, but the rafts are Woosung glued PVC also sold as Star.
The first three letters of a serial number on a boat is a Manufactures Identification Code (MIC). With the MIC you can check the Coast Guard MIC Database: Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) Database

Typically you can see the details of the company and where the boats are manufactured and other information. Sometimes there is almost no info and sometimes the manufactures name matching the MIC in the database is completely different than the boat name the MIC came off of.

For example, Star's MIC is "XEQ" and this is the search result:
MIC Database Detail Search Results
riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #7

gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
zoik inflatables

I went on my first run down the gunny town run today in my new zoik ik. Punched through both holes in the play park without a problem. I thought it was extremely stable compared to nrs boats that I have used. The seat was comfortable when deflated a bit. For the first run I would have to say it was a great buy.
thedojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
zoik