Zet director vs jackson karma - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-02-2015   #1

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Zet director vs jackson karma

Does anyone in colorado paddle a zet director? what do you think of it and how does it compare to a karma? length, volume, etc?

I am thinking of trying a zet for low water creeking, I am running out of rock boats and was told the plastic of zet is blow molded like a prijon and wears better with scratches.

The volume is more in a zet than a prijon too right? i was thinking cali, but its 89 gallons, zet says 95, what are your thoughts?

thanks in advance

bob

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Zets are not blow molded but they have some proprietary formula and most people are saying they're tougher than normal boats. I think Bailey Jake has a Director - they're pretty large.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
Zets are not blow molded but they have some proprietary formula and most people are saying they're tougher than normal boats. I think Bailey Jake has a Director - they're pretty large.
Hey there. ZET's are not blow molded. They're using a proprietary tech called Zelezny Technologies which is a modified roto-molding process. Exactly what it is would require NSA clearance level 5...

I can tell you this. They're tough. Real tough...yet still weldable.

As for sizing, the Director is stated at 95 gallons and I've been paddling both the Director and Raptor (80gal). At 5'9" and 170lbs I fit the Director surprisingly well. It's cockpit doesn't feel big at all and I need no additional padding anywhere to feel comfortable and in complete control. The boat is big but paddles rather nimbly at such a large volume. This is due to thoughtful distribution of volume throughout the boat rather than just fitting it in around the cockpit. It has good rocker for boofing and at 8'10" it's fast! The edges along the boat from behind the seat to the bow give it excellent carving properties and let it hold an edge for as long as you need it.

I'm finding it challenging to choose which boat as a main one. With each design and size, you give up something to gain another.

Get in a ZET...
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015   #4

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I want to get in a zet -- where is the toro?

When is the toro coming? There was an announcement back in Feb and not peep since. I like the look of the shape, lines and apparently it will be between raptor and director in size, which is what us 180 lb'ers want.

anybody paddle this thing yet? when's it coming stateside? surely there is some feedback out there somewhere.

zet folks??????
deadahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015   #5

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I thought I heard blow molded, thank you for clearing that up. I will get a hold of #badswimmer, aka bailey Jake. He took me down bailey years ago, I'm sure he'd let me take it for a rip down bailey. ha!!!! but i would like to do some comparisons.

I'm glad its weldable and I feel like they are coming to the states in full force.

Also so we are all clear, I'm 6'3 280lbs. I do well in the karma.

The things that i like about the karma are a high parting line, lenghth and volume.

It displaces my weight well and i sit high up on the water. the parting line keeps water off my stern.

It looks like the director shares those qualitys. Thanks for the info so far, and i'm always open to more thoughts
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadahead View Post
When is the toro coming? There was an announcement back in Feb and not peep since. I like the look of the shape, lines and apparently it will be between raptor and director in size, which is what us 180 lb'ers want.

anybody paddle this thing yet? when's it coming stateside? surely there is some feedback out there somewhere.

zet folks??????
The Toro is done and enroute to the US due here by the end of the month. They proto's were done late winter with some final tweaking. Sick new boat from ZET. More rocker than the others. 8'10" long and a cockpit width just a hair wider than Raptor so it's gonna scream down river. At 85gal it's a great in between boat from the Raptor and Director. If you look at the pics online, there are design differences. It's not just a bigger/smaller version of the other boats.

Better get them while you can. Boats are moving quickly and a finite supply. Call Kenneth at Cascade Whitewater up in Idaho.
Old 06-02-2015   #7

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
toro info

Hey thanks for the update on the toro. Just curious, is it a dedicated creeker similar to raptor/director (increased rocker would suggest so). are there any production model images out there? will zet team members be abandoning their raptors at boat orphanages to paddle this new boat, or is it a different type of animal? finally, edge looks a little softer than raptor and director, but really hard to tell from the few images out there -- is that the case?
deadahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015   #8

durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I have a Director and love it. Have paddled it in Durango for 2 years now. Great boat. Tough, light, and fast. However I don't like it in the mank....or low volume. Very sharp edges compared to the Karma. The plastic is tough but does scratch and gouge easily. its weird. I would describe it as slippery but soft. not great for sharp runs.

I hope that helps,

Cheers
westernslopeslayer is offline   Reply With Quote