Yeti vs Engel - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-03-2012   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2001
Yeti vs Engel

They're both expensive, one has a cooler name and other than that they seem to be about the same. I got a Tundra 110 that I think I'll return because its tall and less manageable to handle than an Engel 80- which is also cheaper.

Anyone have experience or comparison to share? Yeti's are widely available in Montana but I haven't seen any Engels in stores 'round here.

Canyon coolers has a 90 that would fit nicely and is even cheaper but lacks the strong hinges- which I seem to break.

Dilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012   #2

Evergreen, Co.
Paddling Since: 2000
This may be of help.
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ons-22731.html
I bought an Engel 120 last fall and this will be my first season using it on raft trips. It appears bomber and about $100 cheaper than the Yeti. I'm taking it on an 8 day trip on the San Juan in a week and will report back.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
I just got a Engel 65 and have had a Canyons Cooler about the same size. No chance to take them both out but hopefully over the next month can test them. Will do a test of canyons cooler this weekend.

I got the Engel after seeing a buddy put a sack of ice into a Engel 65 and put cooler and a 6 pack of beer in the shell of his truck parked at Mulehoof Campground AZ on a Sunday. Came back the next Friday afternoon and took out Ice cold beers for 6 of us. Not scientific at all but impressive enough for me to order a Engel 65.

Yeti, Canyons, Engel are expensive no doubt of that, but if you want a cold drink a week later out in the wild, there is a price to pay.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012   #4

Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
We had a Yeti and two Engels on the Grand last year, along with Igloos and Gotts. The Yeti and the Engels were half filled with good block ice from Tour Ice and then we added water to fill in the gaps and put them in a minus 20 degree walk in cooler for a week. (Nice to have a friend who manages a grocery store.) The Yeti ice was melted on day twelve. There was still ice in the Engels when we were cleaning up at home on day 17. The Yeti was smaller than the Engels and didn't fit side to side on the inside of the boat so there might have been some air circulating on the sides, but not enough to make a 5 day difference IMO. Plus, the Yeti had the meat for the last three days and so it hadn't even been opened yet, where the Engels had been opened earlier in the trip.
Old 05-04-2012   #5

Vail, CO
Paddling Since: 2008
Names are cool.

Keeping ice the longest is cooler.

Engel
Old 05-04-2012   #6
Be Like Water

Rivertime, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
This may be of help.
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ons-22731.html
I bought an Engel 120 last fall and this will be my first season using it on raft trips. It appears bomber and about $100 cheaper than the Yeti. I'm taking it on an 8 day trip on the San Juan in a week and will report back.
Make sure you fill that baby with beer so we can give it a proper test.
Liquido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #7

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Engel engel and more engel. If you like your beer cold that is..
Sleepless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #8

golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I paid the hefty price for the Engle.
within 2 months the gasket fell out, the rubber hinges (which are held in place by a very weak and tiny little pin) were broken.
It keeps the goods super cold but the minimal moving parts all failed quick.
Yeti is my pick
shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #9

Redstone, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
How long do you need it to hold ice? My new Rubbermaid 150 had a lot of ice left when we opened it a on day 7. Of course it's not as nice a cooler as Yeti or Engel.

You're talking about a 80-90Qt, which is a little different than a huge GC cooler too... it has way different mass.

Apple & oarnges... sort of.
Kendarflugen is offline   Reply With Quote