XP10 vs Fusion - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-09-2011   #1

Lake Charles, Louisiana
Paddling Since: 2007
XP10 vs Fusion

I'm thinking about getting something with a skeg for a raft supported Grand Canyon trip. I tried an XP10 on flatwater a couple years back. It felt huge on me and seemed hard to put on edge...probably due to the lack of contact with the boat. I haven't had a chance to paddle a Fusion, but I currently paddle a Varun and Karnali. I'll probably be carrying a very minimal amount of gear in the storage hatch. Any opinions?

RomanLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011   #2

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Just in case you haven't seen:
Fusion | Colorado Kayak Supply BlogColorado Kayak Supply Blog
You can also search CKS blog for XP10 reviews and comparison w/Fusion.

I can tell you from experience that the skeg makes a big difference with the XP10 in flat water.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Hey RomanLA
-If you give CKS a call and ask to speak to Dave, he would be a good reference. He has paddled the Grand in an XP10.

Also-here is a brief review of the Fusion vs. XP10:
Liquid Logic Remix XP9 vs. The Pyranha Fusion kayak ReviewColorado Kayak Supply Blog

Hope that helps a little bit.
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011   #4

Tina and I have been using the Pyranha Fusion's for two seasons now and love them. The boats paddle like a very fast creek boat, and are stable enough to run some decent sized whitewater. I ran the Clear Creek informal Blackrock race a few weeks ago and the boat was awesome and fast, and I've run the two crux drops on the Jarbidge with it fully loaded and it did great. You can definitely run some shit in the Fusion, and it will feel like paddling a fast creek boat. I can't comment on how it rolls because I haven't flipped over yet (feels easy in an eddy). They are also very beginner friendly, and I've had my mom paddling one down the San Juan river with no problems.

The volume distribution is sweet in the Fusion. The hatch holds a ton of gear. I fit one drybag perpendicular to the boat behind the seat (in front of the foam block), and my personal gear drybag in the hatch and perpendicular just behind the bulkhead. This gets all of your standard overnight items (per normal creek boat expeditions) directly behind your seat and conveniently in the most bulbous part of the kayak. This leaves ample room in the hatch for tons of slightly neccessary things like my breakdown paddle, full size tent, stoves, first aid kit, extra warmth gear, and another 30 beers if you don't mind the weight. Behind the seat on top the food gear bag is my large pin kit and throw rope. In front of the seat and under my legs I strap a water bag down for trips that I don't want to filter water. Between my legs is camera bag. In front of the bulk head we carry two 4" diameter by 12" tubes with rubber gaskets for a groover/trash setup (we've brought clean ones with ice and frozen food as well). Pyranha makes a sweet deck pod that straps on top of the deck and carry's a days lunch, sun screen and sun glasses for touring in style.

The deck on the back is great. Rubber is key! You put it on like a spray skirt. It's really easy with some basic technique.

All kayaks should have a drop-down skeg on it, and both of these boats will convince you of this.
Old 08-09-2011   #5

Jackson, Wyoming
I think a good question is how much the extra volume of the XP (over the Fusion) would help in big water. The XP is very comfortable, but I have not paddled a Fusion.
Old 08-10-2011   #6

CKS has both to demo if you want to try them side by side.
bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnovice View Post
I think a good question is how much the extra volume of the XP (over the Fusion) would help in big water. The XP is very comfortable, but I have not paddled a Fusion.
Excellent question. From what I have seen, when you match them up side by side the primary difference in volume is that the XP has much more room around the paddlers hips and legs. It doesn't seem to have a whole lot of extra packing room, IMO. If you weigh in at 240+ lbs then its probably a better option than the Fusion. I weigh 170 and have packed my Fusion with about 100lbs of gear (okay, beer), and it's heavy but alright in hard whitewater.

The Fusion is a dream in big water! Actually, one of the only disadvantages of the Fusion is the lack of a center pillar (cause it's narrower) gives the hull a little less support when on creek like runs (the XP has the center pillar). This hasn't been a problem on shallow runs, but could on more abusive creeks.

The lack of volume around the paddlers legs in the Fusion (still creek boat size and comfortable, but comparing to the XP), I believe contribute to it being a faster boat in the flats, but I haven't proved this yet. Going to on our Grand trip this fall... Fusion vs XP self-support face-off round 2 (the first was Selway, and Evan was in the XP9 so I won the uphill ferry surf challenge).

Last note, I'm only refering to the 10'2 Fusion. The Large.
Old 08-10-2011   #8

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutch View Post
The Fusion is a dream in big water! Actually, one of the only disadvantages of the Fusion is the lack of a center pillar (cause it's narrower) gives the hull a little less support
So, in your response to my question, you did not suggest any particular advantage in performance/handling big water due to the XP10's extra volume (105 gallons vs. Fusion's 81.5) -- though I can't tell if you have had an XP10 in big water. I suspect that whether something is an "advantage" or not is partailly based on the paddler. So, if the XP10 is PERHAPS a bit less likely to flip, this may be pretty insignificant to an experienced paddler with good edging, bracing and rolling skills. However, this could be perceived as an advantage by a novice like myself.

So, I'm still wondering if the additional volume (or anything else such as shape) of the XP10 DOES in fact make it less likely to flip/catch edge. I suppose the greater width of the XP10 could make it harder to get a tight line (but that's not the water I'm in).

BTW, thanks for the reply! I'm learning. (The local shop in Jackson Hole does not have a Fusion for me to try -- and I do like to support the local shop -- and not planning a trip to Buena Vista in the near future.)
Old 08-10-2011   #9

Lake Charles, Louisiana
Paddling Since: 2007
Thanks for all of the great responses! I've read that the hull of the Remix is really forgiving like the Karnali (the only boat I've paddled on big water). I assume with the added size the XP would be even more forgiving. I guess my only concern is getting a snug fit for edging, bracing, and rolling. Oh and those dang foot pegs. I'd much rather have a bulkhead. I'm guessing you could retrofit it with one though. Anyone familiar with the hull shape on the Fusion?
RomanLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011   #10

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanLA View Post
I guess my only concern is getting a snug fit for edging, bracing, and rolling.
What's your height/weight? (both boats come in 2 sizes)