XP10 or Remix79? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-24-2011   #1

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
XP10 or Remix79?

Info: Snake River in Wyoming, which includes Class I, II and III sections. Class III section ("Alpine Canyon"), I've run in my ducky many times from 2.5K to 7K (not anywhere near the 20+K it can reach, but still relatively "big" water -- not a creek). I often do the Class I and II sections in my touring kayak (first kayak, bought for versatility of lakes and some river). Since I now bought a sea kayak for the lakes, I'm thinking about a sit inside that is more river-oriented than the touring boat. I have demoed XP 9 and 10, so far only in the class I/I+ sections -- enjoyed the maneuverability! Also found the skeg helpful. If I do get a river running boat, I'm not sure I will venture into the class III, but it could happen -- (with lessons) so I want a boat that could do that while providing great stability -- not looking to swim in class III too often; not sure I'll get a bomber roll (no rolling yet). Anticipating not looking to play boat, but probably some straightforward/easy wave surfing.

Remember, the intention is to use in class I and II (and maybe III, too many swims will discourage me from III). So, should I go with the XP for the skeg and the (perhaps?) greater stability in relatively big III (1" wider and 105 gal. vs. 79)? Is there a reason to go with the standard Remix? I'm asking this on a mostly WW board knowing that you folks probably lean more toward straight WW than a crossover. So, convince me if you think I should be. Not anticipating needing the self-support capabilities of the XP, but coming from a touring kayak, I've come to enjoy the luxury of hatches/bulkheads and deck bungies.
Oh yeah: 6'1" 180# 58yo
Thanks!

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011   #2

Sounds like the XP 10 would be the perfect fit for your application. I would actually advise against a 79 if you don't intend on specifcally running whitewater exclusively. I have both and know that if you were only occasionally to hit Alpine canyon, there would be no reason to have a full river runner- and yes, the skeg and deck rigging are nice.

P.S.- I happen to have a new, never used XP 10 that I would like to sell if you find yourself in the market, I am in Cody, PM me if interested.
Andy
shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
I do not own a XP10, but I have heard a bunch of good reports from folks who do own them

Some of the liquid logic guys did a XP10 Grand Canyon self support top to bottom with no problems. I have run the GC and it is a mix of flat water and rapids. basically averages out to one rapid a mile but flat moving water in between.

If I was looking for a great flat water but could do class 2 or 3 and carry my light weight camp gear that XP10 would be at the top of my list. I have a old Prijon Chopper for WW self support, if it ever dies then XP10 would be it's replacement.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Framing the question a bit differently: Let's assume I use the boat in the spectrum of class I to III. In flat water, I think the skeg on the XP10 gives it an advantage (hmm...how big and advantage?). In class III, does the standard WW river runner present an advantage over the XP that I should weigh into the full equation (and how big an advantage relative to the XP advantage on the flats)? I didn't mean to get so mathematical!!
Old 08-24-2011   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
google the liquid logic home page and go read the blog reports on the XP10 in the Grand Canyon. There is also some flat water XP10 information there as well.

Like I said, I do not own a liquid logic boat but have friends with the remix and xp10 units and have heard nothing but good stuff about them. I am sure there are some XP10 Buzzards with personal experience to share.

I am an ACA WW kayak level 4 instructor and early spring time taught a WW clinic. One of the students showed up in a XP10 and did all the WW drills and moves as well as the others in more traditional WW kayaks. I have done the WW section of the Wyoming Snake and in my opinion the XP10 would handle that with zero problems.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #6

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post

I am an ACA WW kayak level 4 instructor and early spring time taught a WW clinic. One of the students showed up in a XP10 and did all the WW drills and moves as well as the others in more traditional WW kayaks. I have done the WW section of the Wyoming Snake and in my opinion the XP10 would handle that with zero problems.
Hey, OkieB. I have read probably all there is to read on the web about the XP10 (and Pyranha Fusion). I am leaning toward an XP10, but just wanted to see if anybody here would make a case for me to consider a standard river runner (perhaps making the case that the flatwater advantage of the XP was minimal, or whatever). So far, nobody has. On the XP10 side, I especially appreciate your remarks that I quoted above.
Thanks!
Old 08-24-2011   #7

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
IMO there are two types of class III, technical class III and big water class III. If you ever decide to try technical class III (I'm thinking of Fractions or Brown's canyon on the Ark and Clear Creek), the length of the XP10 will present you with the challenge of maneuvering a longer boat in tight situations. Once you get a solid roll down, you'll probably want to try a shorter boat to see what it does. You should start with the XP10.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
Got back from Brown's Canyon last week when it was running around 650 or so. Used my XP10. It was fantastic! Handled the big water of Zoom Flume easily (and with stability). It also worked well in Pinball, Toilet Bowl, and Raft Ripper. Also did the Yampa/Green at 10,000 and it was great. Nice boat. My opinion, obviously, is that it can handle what water you decide to put it in. One thing to watch out for is the weak footpegs when the pressure's on. My only complaint.
hkydef is offline   Reply With Quote