woodland power stove - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-02-2011   #1

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
woodland power stove

I just got back from a San Juan trip. We did not have a blaster or anything like that. I work commercially and use the Partner steel Blaster or their new extreme water heater. I like them alot, but they are big to pack in a 14' boat. (I have 1) but in the 16 and 18'boats with other guides, the loads aren't so big. On this last trip we ran 2 coleman double burners and had a difficult time getting the water to boil. I have an opportunity to get a woodland power stove for a good deal, so I am wondering who has them? what do you think? I now this topic has been covered, but I am curious about the Woodland Power stove. I will eventually buy a better stove, but the blaster I think is more of a necessity. Thanks

topbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011   #2

Northern Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
They're good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topbud View Post
I just got back from a San Juan trip. We did not have a blaster or anything like that. I work commercially and use the Partner steel Blaster or their new extreme water heater. I like them alot, but they are big to pack in a 14' boat. (I have 1) but in the 16 and 18'boats with other guides, the loads aren't so big. On this last trip we ran 2 coleman double burners and had a difficult time getting the water to boil. I have an opportunity to get a woodland power stove for a good deal, so I am wondering who has them? what do you think? I now this topic has been covered, but I am curious about the Woodland Power stove. I will eventually buy a better stove, but the blaster I think is more of a necessity. Thanks
In my medium-sized kitchen box, I carry a camp chef sport utility stove (20,000 btus/burner), and a woodland blaster. I like the set-up a lot. The camp chef stove is fairly light and has enough room on the burner surface for two large pots or pans. The woodland stove can put out 60,000 btus for dish water or, you can cook/brew coffee on it. I went for it over a partner blaster because it was lighter, smaller, stainless steel, had more flame adjustability-about the same cost. I've used the partner blasters and stoves quite a bit over the years guiding commercial trips and yes, their stoves are sweet-light, field maintainable, made in U.S., but-the burn surface doesn't allow for good placement of pots/pans for cooking and they don't put out that much heat plus, they are pretty spendy. For the woodland stove, I hook it up to a separate propane tank so I can have it a bit away from the main kitchen/traffic area. It has an integrated wind screen that works great too.
Faucet Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #3
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Woodland gets a thumbs up from me for two reasons: (a) lighter and easier to pack, and (b) won't consume all your propane but still plenty of heat to boil large pots of water. I used a Partner Blaster for years as well. Good product, but way more power than needed and the weight/packing issues. With Partner I always worried that someone would turn it on, leave it on, walk away, and lots of heat (therefore gas) gets wasted. What I do like about Partner is you don't have all those loose parts and there is nothing to assemble when setting it up, but the trade off was worth it.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011   #4

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
Awesome. That's what I needed to hear. I guess I'll be picking that up sooner than later. I never do trips more than 12ish people, so I think that is the way I'll go. I'll let you guys know what I think of it on here. Thanks for the feedback.
topbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #5

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Never seen a partner but my woodland is well made, compact, and does a good job. I think i got a good deal close to $100 from some marine place in Wa. Check froogle
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #6

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
$92.53

http://www.suremarineservice.com/PS65-0000.aspx
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #7

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I bought the Camp Chef river runner aluminum model about 12 years ago, great stove, never had any problems with it. Mine has 25,000 btu burners and I've never needed a blaster, though on some trips people bring them. Partner has stoves that can be split thus allowing for larger skillets, etc. If my Camp Chef ever bites the dust, I'll go this route as well as buy the Woodland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faucet Butt View Post
In my medium-sized kitchen box, I carry a camp chef sport utility stove (20,000 btus/burner), and a woodland blaster. I like the set-up a lot. The camp chef stove is fairly light and has enough room on the burner surface for two large pots or pans. The woodland stove can put out 60,000 btus for dish water or, you can cook/brew coffee on it. I went for it over a partner blaster because it was lighter, smaller, stainless steel, had more flame adjustability-about the same cost. I've used the partner blasters and stoves quite a bit over the years guiding commercial trips and yes, their stoves are sweet-light, field maintainable, made in U.S., but-the burn surface doesn't allow for good placement of pots/pans for cooking and they don't put out that much heat plus, they are pretty spendy. For the woodland stove, I hook it up to a separate propane tank so I can have it a bit away from the main kitchen/traffic area. It has an integrated wind screen that works great too.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #8

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Woodland Power Stove has served me well for the past three seasons.
Highly recommended and made in the USA!
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Woodland stoves are sweet. Down River Equipment sells them and the accessories. I really like having the fake fire logs. They barely drain your propane and you can have a mess free fire when you need to warm someone quickly or just want to get out early the next morning.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #10

jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
but you can't beat the sound of a blaster....
stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote