wood paddle shaft diameter? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-22-2017   #1

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
wood paddle shaft diameter?

I have started to play around with making whitewater paddles, and made a paddle out of some ash I had lying around. It is awfully pretty, but, it weighs a ton, I am thinking the shaft and the blades are both way too thick. (shaft is 1.5 inches blades taper to 5/16)

If you have a wood paddle, could you measure the shaft diameter for me, and the thickness of the blades?

I cobbled together a new version with a bit more pine and cedar, and the weight seems a bit better... I am thinking for a beefy layup I may do a laminated shaft with ash and cedar, and laminated blades as well. I will say it is really therapeutic to lay a sharp spokeshave into softer woods..

jerseyjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2017   #2

Duluth, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 2007
I'd love to hear more. Been thinking about a wood paddle build for years. My big hangup has been figuring out how to do the scarf joint in the middle.

Sent from my XT1565 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017   #3

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
I have rafts and duckies, so I started with raft paddles. and then jumped to kayak paddles. I made a scarf joint jig for the table saw, that is a big chunk of plywood with guide bars on the bottom and an angled wedge to get the joint. then I cut a whole ton of dowel stock until it seemed to work.

After all of that effort, I was looking at Jimmy Snyders rivrstyx (I am so not worthy) and realized he is making his zero offset. So, I made one like that, (the ash monster) and paddled it, The zero offset is not too weird to get used to, the big problem is that I have a stupid heavy paddle. I may see if I can belt sand it down..

My current method combines power and hand tools, and I pretty much use what I have got. I have started making blade templates on hardboard that I can trace onto the paddle blank, and then have guidance shape the blade.

I will either use solid wood or a laminated shaft that I cut down on the table saw to 1 3/8 inch square.

I cut all of my blade stock into strips 1 3/8 inch thick and then as thin as 5/16 to as thick as 1 1/2 inches, I then plane them flat, and then cut them into 18 inch long pieces.

Then using all the clamps I have I glue the blade stock to the shaft.

I glue it all flat on my workbench, and just cover the bench in Kraft paper (it sands off nicely) I have used thickened epoxy and also titebond 3, right now, I am liking titebond 3,

After the glue sets I sand it flat, trace the blade shape and then jigsaw it out, I then run a center line, around the whole blade, and then start shaping. My weapon of choice is an angle grinder with a flappy wheel, (40 grit) and a 60 grit belt sander, and then spoke shaves. During the school year I can use my schools band saw, but that has taken more off too fast, and it is really hard to put wood back.

Once the shape is good I do an epoxy coat with RAKA uv stabilized epoxy, and then lay a single sheet of 4 oz fiberglass on each side of the blade. I sand off the excess (wear a mask and safety specs) and then it is 5 coats of spar urethane, and thats it... I can go from a pile of sticks to a paddle in about a week...

I keep either a takedown (aquabound shred or hand paddles) with me just in case I have an oops on the water.

But, I still need to get some measurements, because I do not get how folks are making solid ash paddles...
jerseyjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2017   #4

Duluth, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 2007
Cool! I'm not sure that all his paddles are zero offset. I've used one that definitely wasn't. Don't most of his paddles use a light core like spruce with ash plates on the outside?

Sent from my XT1565 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #5

Fernie, BC
Paddling Since: 1987
Made myself a wood paddle reciently and am pretty stoked with result. The shaft is 33mm in the centre and 33/28mm at the oval grips. The blades ended up 6mm give or take a hair around the parimeter after the glass went on. I based these dimensions on a friends wood paddle and they seem good, definately not too heavy.
As far as feather goes I've found 0deg less than optimal. I cut this paddle to be 30deg offset but will probably increase that to 35 with my next one. I may be old school though, having used a 45deg offset most of my life on the water.
Making a paddle is a sweet project.
squeakyclean is offline   Reply With Quote