Will These Oars Do? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-29-2010   #1

little rock, Arkansas
Will These Oars Do?

Okay Buzzards, keep in mind these will never see any technical or gnarly water. The absolute worst will be the occasional, if ever, short class III rapid on the way to somewhere. My primary focus is propulsion on pretty calm water with a loaded 14 footer. Within that context will these do? I just can't see spending $400+ on oars that will realistically only get wet five times a year (if that). I'm looking at the AB90 model of course. Thoughts please. Thanks everyone.
Oars & Paddles

lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
What are they made of? My thought is "NO!" if you do multiday trips, with a loaded gear boat and remote. If you're just doing day trips, that's a different story. I'd bring two spares if you do go with them. I would also say no to any Class III.
Old 10-29-2010   #3

little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
What are they made of? My thought is "NO!" if you do multiday trips, with a loaded gear boat and remote. If you're just doing day trips, that's a different story. I'd bring two spares if you do go with them. I would also say no to any Class III.
"Heavier thickness aluminum shaft", whatever that means.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010   #4
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
No they won't. They probably have a different diameter shaft than most decent oar locks and appear to be hollow aluminum, which will easily bend or break the first time you poke the river bottom with your downstream oar or accidentally drift into a friend's boat.

Buy used Carlisle oars and blades and you won't pay more than a couple hundo for a set and a spare.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #5

little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Buy used Carlisle oars and blades and you won't pay more than a couple hundo for a set and a spare.
Okay, I'll keep looking for good used ones. My problem is geographical. Since I'm so far away I have to deal with parties who are willing to take plastic and ship to me. Oh well. Onward.
Old 10-29-2010   #6

pine, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
$100 Wooden Pair

I bought a pair of ash oars off of Ebay for $100 shipping included. Wanted a pair for my Wood Pram because my yellow Carlisles look tacky and a good pair of Sawyer oars would run me $500 and I'm cheap. I used some 3/16" rope for oar sleeves, they look the part and are good on calm rivers and lakes, I fished the Bighorn with those oars but would hesitate to take them on technically/rocky waters. But for $100 they might be what you want to try or put that $100 toward a good set new or used that you know will last you. Enjoy the river.
class 3 felon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #7

little rock, Arkansas
Are these the oars? Seller doesn't specify the wood, but the price matches.
Old 10-29-2010   #8

pine, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
no link? I looked them up, her name is ladybug and she's out of New England.
class 3 felon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #9

little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by class 3 felon View Post
no link? I looked them up, her name is ladybug and she's out of New England.
Oh yeah, sorry, I guess the link would have helped. Yes, it's ladybug.
TERRIFIC 9' Pair Paddles OARS 108" Boat Wooden NEW WOW - eBay (item 360261207223 end time Nov-06-10 03:04:14 PDT) I saw those a while back and wondered if they would work. I'd be grateful for a pic of how you customized yours. I think you may have found my solution.
Old 10-29-2010   #10

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Hard to tell from a photo what those oars are. There are good wooden oars, and there are crappy ones. The crappy ones (and that includes nearly all cheap wooden oars) will warp. You can't row with a curved oar shaft! I wouldn't take the chance. Your best advice is to go for the Carlisles. They are relatively cheap and universally available. Log onto craigslist Portland OR and search for "oar." There is an outfitter in Troutdale who is nearly always advertising used Carlisles cheap.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote