Wife Boat? ...selfishness... - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-16-2010   #1

Provo, Utah
Wife Boat? ...selfishness...

So I took my wife in a ducky down 2 different local class III runs and she had a blast. She decided she wants to start paddling and gave the go ahead to get another boat.

She wants something more stable than the Jackson Fun I paddle. She has no desire to play boat and mostly wants something stable, comfortable, forgiving, easy to roll, and easy to handle.

The selfish part in all this is that she is okay getting a higher volume river runner/creeker so that when she isn't paddling it I can go paddle the local creeks with it.

The dilemma:
What boat will fit us both and be suitable for creeking?

She is about 120 lbs and is 5' 8" I am about 150 lbs 6' 1.5" and we both have long legs.

I have considered the LL jefe, Jackson hero, and Jackson Villain S.

What boats should we consider or which of the three would be the best fit for the intended purpose?

afaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010   #2
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
I really like my villain... :]
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #3

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
You're 6'2" and 150??? Eat something man! The Hero would definitely fit the bill - front surfing, great river runner/creeker - if you can get your legs in there. It's got soft chines and will teach edge control while still being very forgiving.
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010   #4

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
afaust,

None of the boats you listed are really appropriate for her. Possibly a Jefe Chico. But the Hero and Villain S are huge boats (great, but big), I think she'd be ovewhelmed by them.

Hands down, for her size and your weight (hopefully you legs fit) the best choice is the Punk Rocker. Try it, and try it more than once. Some people going from a planing hull to displacement think their ustable at first. However, give yourselves time to adapt you will discover that it is super stable. Also, consider removing the sweet cheeks seat pad for more room, lower seating, and even greater stability.

Cheers!
Ken
Old 08-16-2010   #5

afaust,

By the way, the seat position will be need to be adjusted for each of you. Which, it is quick and easy to do. Take a Sahrpe and mark the insde floor with lines where it needs to be for each of you and then you can instantly adjust it for each other. I suspect all the way forward might be best for her and further back for you. Take it to a calm lake and spend time observing each other to identify the trim appearance, stability, and carving performance to find the sweet spots for each of you and mark the seat positions. After that you can both easily enjoy the boat. It is an excellent boat.

Ken
Old 08-16-2010   #6

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
You should consider the wavesport diesel (65 if used, 70 if new) as a boat for both of you. Don't get a jefe unless you want yor wife to hate kayaking...it's not a good beginner boat. Plus, if you are a Jackson fun type guy the transition to the diesel will be easier for you too. I'd bet the LL remix and Jackson Hero would work well also.
Old 08-16-2010   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Ken- just curious why you suggest punk rocker over a little hero? I wonder if a smaller villain is in the works, as most of their boats come in at least 4 sizes.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #8

Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I would at least check out the diesel.

Fast, forgiving, and easy to roll are the positives about this. It is a mix between a creeker/river runner. Planing hull makes it fun on waves.

I paddle the 80 and know others that paddle/paddled the smaller sizes and liked them.
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
Ken- just curious why you suggest punk rocker over a little hero? I wonder if a smaller villain is in the works, as most of their boats come in at least 4 sizes.
Dave,

I think his weight is maybe over the Little Hero performance limit, and she will probably like the forgiveness of the Punk Rocker. Both are great boats, though. The Hero/Little Hero is a true high performance, aggressive, carving machine. But, if she's learning and he's to be creeking ... then I think the Punk Rocker is ideal for fitting them both and fullfilling their their wants.

By the way, Dave, your run at Super Max was excellent. Way to go. You are a great boater.

Cheers!
Ken
Old 08-16-2010   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
I wonder if a smaller villain is in the works, as most of their boats come in at least 4 sizes.
I hope so. The Villain S is the new and improved Rocker and is a super excellent boat. However, I would much delight in a smaller version yet. I don't know if one is in the works, but if anyone can help us in pursuading them to make something more along the deminsions of the Punk Rocker, I would appreciate it. I think 24" wide and 70 gallons would be awesome for my 5'5" / 165lb stature. EJ, are you seeing this? Please make it for all of us shorter people.

Ken