Why I should not have bought a Saturn... - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-09-2011   #1

Boise, Idaho
Why I should not have bought a Saturn...

My foot got stuck under the floor cell in the middle of a fairly significant rapid on the Payette today...and: the valves suck, my floor is leaking, and it doesn't bail when fully loaded. I want a 143r but don't really want to pull 3 or 4k out of my savings. Damn NW raft builders, making me want to buy real rafts!

My other boats are AIREs and as I have said before, they make my Saturn look like driftwood

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Dude buy those Leopard tubes for $1200 and change your name to Cataman.
Old 07-10-2011   #3

Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Try putting a floor in it. I have a saturn and love it!! Floor dont leak, valves dont leak, bails properly, and holds coolers full of beers.
water logged 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011   #4

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterman View Post
My foot got stuck under the floor cell in the middle of a fairly significant rapid on the Payette today...and: the valves suck, my floor is leaking, and it doesn't bail when fully loaded. I want a 143r but don't really want to pull 3 or 4k out of my savings. Damn NW raft builders, making me want to buy real rafts!

My other boats are AIREs and as I have said before, they make my Saturn look like driftwood
Can you explain the foot entrapment a little more? I have a Saturn, and we have taken it down 40 trips most of those with quite a few paddlers, and have never had that problem. Are you wedging your foot between the tubes and the floor? Do you run your tubes or floor at a low pressure? I don't want the same to happen from us, and I heard you or someone mention this before and can't conceive how this happens, and want to better understand so we can help mitigate the risk.
BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #5

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterman
My foot got stuck under the floor cell in the middle of a fairly significant rapid on the Payette today
Can you inflate and take a pic of your foot in this spot of the boat? I've also heard this firsthand from two others
Old 07-10-2011   #6

Boise, Idaho
I braced and high sided through a waterfall and my foot went down onto the bucket floor in between the tube and floor cell. It wasn't that hard to get it out, but if we would have flipped it would have been more fun. My chaco sole acted like a wedge anchor making it harder to get out. Have thought about strapping/lacing the cell to the bucket floor, or retro-fitting(expensive). I would not be so fired up if the valves weren't always such a PITA as well. Got a smoking deal on the boat, but the rm stuff appears to avoid such downfalls. Even heard of them lacing someone a new floor for free...
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #7

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterman View Post
...I want a 143r but don't really want to pull 3 or 4k out of my savings...
Someone once told me, "when you buy quality, you only wince once..."
briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #8

boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 99
Floor

[QUOTE=BullSCit;239649]Are you wedging your foot between the tubes and the floor? Do you run your tubes or floor at a low pressure?[QUOTE]

New in 2011, our floors are detachable and in 2012 will be narrower to make certain there is no chance of catching a shoe between the tubes and floor. We have only heard of this happening on 2 prior occasions where the customers were wedging a shoe between the tubes and floor while the floor and tubes were at maximum pressure.

Rafterman, sorry you haven't been 100% satisfied with your purchase. I guess we can't hit 100% but we try. We would be happy to repair your floor if there is a leak. Also, you can change the valves out with Leafield valves at Cascade Outfitters if you prefer, they've done that on other types of rafts. Let us know if there is something we can do to help you out.
SaturnRafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #9
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandburns View Post
Someone once told me, "when you buy quality, you only wince once..."
=why i saved my tips for a whole season and bought the hyside i always dreamed of.
i'll never understand why anyone would do anything less yet still expect some super high quality boat(hooray sevylor!!) whore yourself out to 1000 fat chicks and buy a hyside. end of story.

someone's gotta support the south korean economy, right

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote