Why don't people.. - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-07-2013   #1

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Why don't people..

sing praises of the new Diesels as they do the Remix, the mambas and the Burns?Or is this a misconception on my part?
Just wondering...

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013   #2

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
For that matter, why does it seem like the only Fluid paddlers are the ones sponsored by Fluid? Is it just because they sponsor so many of our friends, that if we're paddling a Fluid that we bought with our own money, surrounded by kayakers who got their's for free, it would come with a strong sense of inferiority or wastefulness? They're obviously good boats.

Half-joking, but it does strike me as an odd phenomenon.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrick View Post
For that matter, why does it seem like the only Fluid paddlers are the ones sponsored by Fluid? Is it just because they sponsor so many of our friends, that if we're paddling a Fluid that we bought with our own money, surrounded by kayakers who got their's for free, it would come with a strong sense of inferiority or wastefulness? They're obviously good boats.

Half-joking, but it does strike me as an odd phenomenon.
Sponsored by Fluid doesn't mean free boats. That's the biggest misconception of sponsored paddlers, of any brand, is they get their gear free. Usually the top tier pros get free gear, the rest of the teams get wholesale or slightly under wholesale. Fluid is trying a new business model of not having inventory in shops so they are having more sponsored paddlers to provide a brand presence. The price these sponsored paddlers are paying for their boats is what a shop would pay for the boats before selling them for retail prices.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I love my Diesel. Paddles Gore, Bailey, and everything in between. Not so good for the steep creeks like SSV and Homestake.
Old 08-08-2013   #5

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
From my experience with the Diesel it was a single use boat, going down river, not creeking or anything of that nature, just purely going downstream. Of the other boats in that category (remix, mamba, burn etc) the diesel is the least capable of handling a lot of the super steeps here in Colorado and also what you will encounter living in New Hampshire. I personally would choose something other than the diesel unless you are looking for that specific edgy riverrunner style boat.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #6

Derby, Connecticut
Paddling Since: 1975
Fluid is trying a new business model of not having any gear in shops??
Did I read that right??
Brilliant - so nobody will be able to check something out without buying it
Old 08-09-2013   #7

Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
Regarding Fluid's business model that's not entirely correct. I know of at least one shop that is a Fluid dealer, but that shop happens to be in upstate NY. If you need to check out a Fluid boat, there are reps who will make that possible.
For the value Conscious paddler, this direct selling technique is pretty rad. Haven't check recently, but I think a new fluid goes for $799. There are normally people on the buzz selling their used boats for more than that. It is not quite as nice as when bliss stick use to sell a creek playboat package, wink wink, but it is the best deal in the industry for a top of the line boat with all the bells and whistles that has in some ways has leveled the playing field of performance creekboats. That being said of all the creekboats currently in production there really isn't a bad boat, except for maybe the diesel, which is a good beginners boat.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleYouEss View Post
From my experience with the Diesel it was a single use boat, going down river, not creeking or anything of that nature, just purely going downstream.
The diesel-as-creeker concept makes me laugh. It was always listed and billed as a river runner. WS lacked a purpose built creeker, and they did kind of hint that its an all around boat. I remember Kirk racing homestake in a diesel. Three or so years later they have he recon as a purpose built creeker. Still, it's clear the diesel is just as stated, an edgy river runner.

To the original point, I'm not sure why it doesn't get mentioned like the remix or burn. The diesel is a solid boat for rivers and for beginners. Just don't miss your boof stroke on drops like Mr. Bill!
Old 08-11-2013   #9

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Super Hero Rocks

I love my Super Hero. I have paddled a Mamba to and I personally didn't like that boat but lots of people love them.
JSHero is online now   Reply With Quote