Who makes the best fishing frame? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-28-2011   #1

Who makes the best fishing frame?

So looking to add some casting decks to a 13' Otter.

Any thoughts on these options? Pros / cons of an exposed anchor vrs one that is inside the tube?

Riverboat Works

DRE

AAA (basically a version of Clavey's design)

rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I like AAA

AAA makes Clavey's frames so Clavey looks like AAA?

I imagine they are cheaper because there is no middle man. I am having them make me a frame shortly. the main reason I went with them, (although I am using DRE oar towers for width) is because their frames are much more adaptable. Since they use 4 detachable corners as opposed to two full width bent pieces (unless you're talking full diamond plate), you can add or subtract your lean bars, floors, without having to plan ahead and have all the fittings added before bending or incur a hefty "retrofit charge" if you already have your main frame, this won't apply. I am building my frame a bit at a time, so this was a big deal for me. also it is easier to change frame width if you use it on another boat in the future.

I am having them make me a rear anchor frame with internal rope routing like the DRE and Riverboat works. I also think their floors seem grippier, but haven't tried them on the water.

Also, they are super custom and will make anything you can dream up for a very competitive price. I am still in the process of figuring out the details, but they have been great. Plus, they always give me a beer when I come into kick tires. I am having them make the outside rails, and rear trailer frame, and the bent AL parts for the floor, but will use Rowframe.com fittings, and kickbar that I already have, and they are totally cool with that. i'm considering making the wood parts myself.

I do like their front lean bar better (less material to do the same thing, and very stable) but I am not springing for that quite yet.

In the end, you will be really splitting hairs, because all are great shops/frames, (Ron was very helpful when I spoke to him on the phone, but in the end wanted to use someone locally) Maybe there is a lot to say for a couple of unexpected beers?
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #3

I already have a 3 bay frame that I am retro-fitting.

I have two concerns about the AAA frames - I prefer the internal anchor rope but maybe they would be willing to build that instead of the external. My biggest concern is the front lean bar. It seems like it would be too far forward. Perhapes that can be addressed by having a slight bend in the front bar so you can have your feet under ya....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'm having them make me the internal anchor frame so I know they can do that, and I imagine they can bend their lean bar to where ever you want it, or make you one like the DRE or the Riverboat works style.

I'm off to drop my boat off at AAA now!
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #5

How could you not want the Trout Slayer? It slays trout, what more could you ask for?
BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
Take a look at Flyraftworks.com. The website has been stagnant for a while, but I know that they've moved some frames in the last 6 months or so. I think you can contact him through Taylor Creek fly shop in Basalt - Jason Lively I think is his name. Small, indepentent couple of guys making some sweet frames that rival (or best) frames i've seen from Riverboatworks (which are sweet too) or anyone else.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #7

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
All of those set ups are clunky and heavy. Why would you put so much crap on a fishing frame? If you think you need diamond plate casting decks, leg locks and all that other stuff you should just get a hard boat. Keep it simple, 95% of your fishing will be done from a seated position. Set yourself up in a way that your seat is mounted to the top of your dry box, those fold over monstrosities don't do you any favors.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #8

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
Exposed anchor rope= not a big deal. Guy fishing in the back needs to be mindful of if, but it's not a problem.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #9

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
Strongly disagree with Marco...my riverboatworks frame is very similar to the troutslayer, I stand and fish nearly 100% of the time in the front and probably 60-75% of the time in the back seat. We beat the diamondplate with a Jack's plastic floor, no dplate needed.

SH
Spade Hackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #10

I do stand alot when I fish so I do want thigh bars. I also like a flip seat.

I like the idea of jacks plastic floors, the dplate seems to be over kill.

fly raft works look nice but no contact info on their website. Website is old from 2009!