Which paddle is right? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-15-2013   #1

York, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2013
Which paddle is right?

Just got into kayaking a few months ago and mostly running creeks and the occasional river. The boat is a pyranha Z.one. Still learning a lot of course but not very happy with my current paddle. I went the cheap route not knowing any better and bought a Werner RIO. Struggling to learn to roll with it I tried a friends wooden paddle and got a roll down right away. It didn't want to dig as much as the rio did for me and came to the surface with ease. I know some of that is just not having experience. I also tried a bent shaft paddle and like the feel of them as well. Looking to buy something that will do what I want it to but not sure what would be best. Leaning more towards a bent shaft over straight. Any input is appreciated!

Cnolt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013   #2

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
bent shaft werner stikine or sho-gun
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #3

York, Pennsylvania
I was close to buying a sho gun but then was told that they chip and then will separate from the foam cores easily so then I second guessed myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013   #4

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
I had mine for several years with no issues. People who say that don't own one. Look at a two year old sho-gun then a two year old fiberglass blade. Huge difference.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #5

Whistler, BC
Paddling Since: 1986
But when you're a beginner, you're more likely to lose a paddle so sometimes cheaper is better. At the end of the day it's down to personal preference. I prefer straight shaft powerhouse, I don't like the feel of a bent shaft and prefer to keep the cost down with the fibreglass blade in-case I lose it. What feather is your rio? I'd be tempted to work with that for a while and borrow a friends here and there. It's still going to be your technique that makes you struggle with your roll, not the paddle.
PhilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #6

Jackson, Wyoming
That rio is perfect is perfect until you've stepped up the difficulty a few times, taken a little beating, and not lost it. Yeah, the nicer ones are great, but they really suck to lose. I lost my first cheap one, bought another, spent some time proving to myself that I could hold on to the thing when the shit hits the fan, then bought a nice one.
wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #7

York, Pennsylvania
Thanks for the input I appreciate it being very new to all of this!
Old 09-17-2013   #8

Montreal, Quebec
It is important to have a paddle that feels right.

That being said, stick with the paddle you have until your technique is solid, like the others said there is no point in getting a new stick until you have the "hip snap" down to a t, as they say in it is all in the hips. See the following link for how to hand roll: How To: Hand Roll a Kayak - YouTube

When you are ready to upgrade our bias opinion would be to pick up one of our new CORE thermoplastic composite blade paddle (the name is still a secret but you can guess the name on our FB page for a chance to win a brand new one). The blades are bomber, the shaft is the strongest on the market and the grips are non-slippery when wet so your hands will always be in the right spot. For whitewater we recommend a bent shaft at 12 degrees, this is the most ergonomic of all options if you learned to kayak with any paddle over 12 degrees.

All the best from CORE!
CORE Paddles is offline   Reply With Quote