which boat should I go with? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-29-2011   #1

dunwoody, Georgia
which boat should I go with?

Im just getting into the sport and dont have enough for a new boat so iv been looking on craigslist and I found a couple that fit in my price range. The first is a dagger gradient with a paddle helmet skirt and pfd for 300. The next is a pyranha micro 240 with a skirt that has an implosion bar. The third is a dagger rpm with a helmet for 400. The fourth is a dagger redline with a skirt and paddle for 400. The fifth is a 2010 pyranha burn for 500. Iv been researching all the boats but I want to be sure that I get the right boat. Im 6' and around 200. I will probly be doing more river running and surfing and maybe some creeking and playboating later on. I know there are better boats out there but these are just what are local.

76 maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
I vote Burn.
Old 11-30-2011   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Burn
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011   #4

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Gradient! Only reason is that it comes with gear, and its a classic.

But in all seriousness the Burn is the best boat in that line up for you to learn in and then progress with.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
burn
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #6

other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994
Burn. But only if it's a size large due to your size. It comes in three sizes (s/m/L) RPM and Redline might not fit you. Gradient is an older design boat but some people still enjoy it.

You are going to go through a few boats until you find the one that you really like. Doesn't hurt to buy the one with the highest chance of resale (Burn).
Old 11-30-2011   #7

SYOTR, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfwarrior View Post
Burn. But only if it's a size large due to your size. It comes in three sizes (s/m/L) RPM and Redline might not fit you. Gradient is an older design boat but some people still enjoy it.

You are going to go through a few boats until you find the one that you really like. Doesn't hurt to buy the one with the highest chance of resale (Burn).
X2... only the large. I know on the newer ones they have a M or L stamped by the drainplug.

But in all honesty, If you are willing to spend $500 for the boat only I would wait and find a used Jackson 4fun so you can have a little play while learning (or second generation Superstar). I started in a Diesel and got bored very quickly.
ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #8

dunwoody, Georgia
The burn was at the top of my list because its a large and its the newest but im worried I want have enough for a paddle, helmet, skirt and pfd. I know the gradient has a crazy amount of volume and I read that its on the slow side and not as agile as other boats but its right behind the burn on my list because it comes with all the gear for almost half of the price of the burn.
Old 11-30-2011   #9

other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994
Here is something to think about... If that old gradient comes with gear is it as old as the boat and will it fit you? Paddle size, helmet size, skirt tunnel size... Ensure you are happy with the extras before using the fact that it has extras to give the nod to that boat.

Most extras are junk the previous owner threw in to sweeten the deal for a Noob. Lots of people get burned that way. I still suggest the Burn, as it works as a river runner and creekboat and you can front surf it too. It's also easy to roll.
Old 12-01-2011   #10

dunwoody, Georgia
I talked to the seller of the micro and he is willing to sell the boat without the skirt for 100. I also talked to the seller of the burn and he has come down to 400 and told me that the bottom of the boat has been repaired.