Which boat is the right boat? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-04-2012   #1

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Which boat is the right boat?

Hello Buzzards,
Hope everyone has enjoyed the holidays and is getting stoked for the upcoming whitewater season. I know I am. Anyways, I finished out my season with my Pyranha H:3. I though it was a great boat but now it has a gaping hole in it that I don't see being fixable.

So I have been pondering which boat is the right boat for me and have taken the following ideas in to consideration for which boat to get...

1. I am 5 11 and 165 lbs.

2. I loved the Burn and H:3 and felt that they performed well but occasionally both of the boats decided to do their own thing, especially when I wasn't paddling aggressively (more my fault than the boats). I also felt that my Burn's plastic wasn't very durable but I am hard on boats.

3. I usually cut my edges into the water hard to initiate moves and snap in and out of eddies.

4. I never ran a waterfall in the Burn but I did in the H:3 and I think my back would appreciate more rocker.

5. I'll be going to school in Portland during from fall-spring (PNW boating season) therefore I might have a new appreciation for resurfacing abilities.

I have seriously been considering the stomper as it seems to fit my style fairly well and has a less aggressive edge.

I know I should wait until Spring and demo some boats but I'll be heading out to Brush Creek during springs break and would prefer not taking the extremely leaky H:3.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012   #2

Columbus, Indiana
Sounds like the Stomper is what you're looking for.

I'd check out the dagger mamba and JK Hero as well if I were you.....Just to see if you like it or not.

And I'd definitely demo if I were you . You can look at specs all day long, but you'll never know how it actually feels with your butt in the seat.
seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Have you tried a Nomad Nathan? I have a feeling you would like it...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012   #4

Bend, Oregon
I paddle a Mamba my first week paddling didn't care too much for it. I also paddled the Nomad at Upper Taylor this year but didn't really get a feel for it. I have heard that the boat can get weird in cross currents due to the hull sitting so low?
Old 01-05-2012   #5

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
The Stomper is a great upgrade from the Burn/H3. I had an Everest before my Stomper 90 and think that it does a lot things, a lot better. The rocker is the biggest change that I appreciate.

Also if you would be getting rid of the H3, I've got a couple ideas for unusable boats and could take it off your hands
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #6

Silverthorne, Colorado
The Nomad needs a driver (like the Stomper) if you used to just point the boat and hang on, you will be in for a change. I also had a Nomad 8.5, and that was hands down the one of my top 3 favorite boats of all time.
Old 01-05-2012   #7

Bend, Oregon
I definitely don't expect the boat to make moves for me. That wouldn't be any fun at all. I just think that my pyranha's catch an edge when I am least expecting it.
Old 01-06-2012   #8

Silverthorne, Colorado
I haven't had that happen in my Stomper yet, and it was very very rare when it happened in my old Nomad
Old 01-06-2012   #9
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleYouEss View Post
The Stomper is a great upgrade from the Burn/H3. I had an Everest before my Stomper 90 and think that it does a lot things, a lot better. The rocker is the biggest change that I appreciate.

Also if you would be getting rid of the H3, I've got a couple ideas for unusable boats and could take it off your hands
Spoken like a rep.

My advice is to demo the boats and decide what works for you. The new Burn has backed off quite a bit on the edges, have you tried one of the newer ones? Quite a change from the H3.

They all pretty much use the same plastic and Pyranha was very fair with me when I damaged my Burn.
Old 01-06-2012   #10

Silverthorne, Colorado
Disclaimer: I am not a rep or affiliated with any boat company in anyway. I have worked in outdoor retail previously and have been an ACA WW instructor for years.