Which boat - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-23-2009   #1

Which boat

I currently have a wavesport 75 and was wondering if a wavesport 65 would be a better fit. I am 180 lbs. male still working on nailing my roll in the river. (I get it about 60% of the time.)
It seems to me that when I am in the 75 it is so long that it is difficult to surf, so my wife has a 65.

Next question would what boat would be good for a 5'4" 125 female who is beginner kayaker

Thanks

theczarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009   #2

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
My Wife is about the same size as yours and she really liked the Little Hero. She has an EZG 42 right now and we’ve been looking for a more comfortable second boat for her. Also, Wave Sport now makes the Diesel in 60, 70, and 80, my wife found that the 60 was narrower than the 65 and liked it better. For you I’d say if you can fit in the boat comfortably then go for it. You’ll be closer to the top of the weight range and might find it more tippy but you’ll also have more maneuverability in it. I have a 75 also but I’m 6’3” 205lbs and I would never fit in a 65.
Rschap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #3

get the 70. I weigh the same and the 70 is a perfect fit for me
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009   #4

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
[QUOTE=theczarr;162118]I currently have a wavesport 75 and was wondering if a wavesport 65 would be a better fit. I am 180 lbs. male still working on nailing my roll in the river. (I get it about 60% of the time.)
It seems to me that when I am in the 75 it is so long that it is difficult to surf, so my wife has a 65.

Next question would what boat would be good for a 5'4" 125 female who is beginner kayaker

theczarr, the Diesel 75 should be a great boat for you. Definitely go with the Little Hero or a Punk Rocker for your wife. Back to you, the Diesel is a fantastic boat. Frankly, it should be a very easy boat for you to roll. Let's talk some about how to help you with that maybe instead. I wouldn't consider the Diesel 75 as an obstacle to your boating capability. It is a great boat and is excellent at pretty much everything. Feel free to shout back with further discussion about it if you would like.
Old 09-28-2009   #5

on the water, jersey
Paddling Since: 2008
kayak for beginner chick...

Ok, I really don't know whether this is ok or not, but I'm hoping it's ok to jump into the discussion. I'm 5'6", 140-145 lbs, beginner kayaker. I've been looking at the diesel 65, CR 125, and am open to other suggestions. I'm sorry if I wasn't supposed to do this. It seemed simplier than starting a new topic.

Thanks,
Alexis

theczarr, the Diesel 75 should be a great boat for you. Definitely go with the Little Hero or a Punk Rocker for your wife. Back to you, the Diesel is a fantastic boat. Frankly, it should be a very easy boat for you to roll. Let's talk some about how to help you with that maybe instead. I wouldn't consider the Diesel 75 as an obstacle to your boating capability. It is a great boat and is excellent at pretty much everything. Feel free to shout back with further discussion about it if you would like.[/QUOTE]
waterratNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #6

[QUOTE=waterratNE;162515]Ok, I really don't know whether this is ok or not, but I'm hoping it's ok to jump into the discussion. I'm 5'6", 140-145 lbs, beginner kayaker. I've been looking at the diesel 65, CR 125, and am open to other suggestions. I'm sorry if I wasn't supposed to do this. It seemed simplier than starting a new topic.

Thanks,
Alexis

Alexis,
For you I would definitely recommend either the Diesel 65, Little Hero, Punk Rocker, or Fuse 56. Being a beginner, I would probably emphasize the Little Hero or Punk Rocker. They will be more forgiving and easy to roll.

Ken
Old 09-29-2009   #7

Davis, California
i don't know i am 5'7ish 145 and the hero and Diesel 70 fit me great. i think she would be on the big side of teh litte hero
Le Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Mitch View Post
i don't know i am 5'7ish 145 and the hero and Diesel 70 fit me great. i think she would be on the big side of teh litte hero
Le Mitch,

A fair comment, for sure. Perhaps, she may want to try out both sizes. IMO, though, the Hero's big 75 gallons and flat hull are too much for a smaller woman to dominate. My wife was much happier switching down from the Hero to the Little Hero. It really is big enough and allows for easier rolling, edging, spinning, and power strokes by being able to reach around the big volume in front. The Hero may be an even more stable battleship for Alexis, but the Little Hero will give more than adequate stability and better performance, I think. Again, I recommend the Little Hero or the Punk Rocker for most women and predict they will best elevate their confidence to continue and achieve enjoyment of the sport.

Cheers!
Ken
Old 09-29-2009   #9

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
The problem my wife seems to run into is with the width of the boat. She got into the Diesel 65 and ran it on the town run and liked the feel of the boat but felt it was too wide. When she tried the 60 the width felt a lot better to her. A lot of words to say the list of boats in this thread are all good beginner boats and you should go to a shop and sit in each boat and demo before you buy. I just started this year and I started with a LL Hoss that I’ve been told is a “great beginner boat” but I couldn’t keep it upright, I switched to a Diesel 75 and felt a lot better. I have just switched back to the Hoss and it feels good now that I’ve gotten better, so for me it was a terrible beginner boat. Think of it like a pair of running or climbing shoes, you’ve got to find that right one for your body type.
Rschap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #10

on the water, jersey
Paddling Since: 2008
thanks

Thank you Ken and Mitch for hte suggestions. This forum is great for newbies who want to learn so thanks for being so open and informative.

-Alexis

Alexis,
For you I would definitely recommend either the Diesel 65, Little Hero, Punk Rocker, or Fuse 56. Being a beginner, I would probably emphasize the Little Hero or Punk Rocker. They will be more forgiving and easy to roll.

Ken[/QUOTE]
waterratNE is offline   Reply With Quote