Whats the right size playboat for 200lbs? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-30-2009   #1

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Whats the right size playboat for 200lbs?

What size playboat do you think is good for someone who is 205lbs early season and 195 now? I seem to be on the meridian for many boats. With the boats that are around 55 gallons, like the all-star or biscuit 55, I am concerned they will hold me back from doing aerial moves. My current boat is in this range (53 gallons) and I am really struggling in that department. But the next size up is like 64 gallons for the biscuit 65 or Superstar, which seems like it would too tough to stick basic moves like squirts and cartwheels. I really don't want to give up throwing a random squirt/cartwheel/stall every fifty feet while running the local class III-IV like I do now, but also want to keep progressing with my playboating.

Any advice would be welcomed especially by people in the same situation. But I know to demo, and I don't really want to make this into a debate about which brand is better either. Thanks.

eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2009   #2

superstar, project, vs biscuit

I'm in a similar situation(200lbs). I paddle the M-L 420. I think you might want to give the superstar a try because although it has more volume it is around the knee area so it leaves the ends pretty slicey still for slicey moves. Then i feel like the spectrum moves through the project and then to the biscuit for arial moves. I've heard the biscuit and ronin are both hard to get the bow down. I'm tempted to look into the big rev too even though there seems to be some negative juju about it. My boat is 55 gallons and I will never go lower, and will likely go higher. Let me know what you decide.

Herbie
chiefton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009   #3

Thanks for the response herbie. I was kinda thinking that the sizing of the Rev L would be good but I'm in a pyranha now and it is so cracked and leaky that I'd rather not stick with the brand.
I demo'd the biscuit 65 my first day this season and had a real tough time with the ends, but it was so early I may have just been rusty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2009   #4

crack

My 420 is also cracked right by the back of the cockpit. A sort of pillar failure type of thing. What boat do you paddle and where is it cracked? I'm learning now that plastic is really a gamble, and some probably is better than other's but every brand breaks. Customer service, to me seems to be the real issue. With boats as light as they are these days I think most boats are breaking. With that being said. I've heard that LL, and Jackson are the best.

Herbie
Old 08-30-2009   #5

I've got an S6f and its got a crack on the edge under the seat and another where the thru-hull for the back band and thigh brace comes through under the rim. I am the second owner so support is out. But I've got say that I still have loved the boat, I just wouldn't want to drop $1,000 on a new one and have this happen.
Old 08-30-2009   #6

Hmmm,

Buying new is a tough decision for me. I'd personally be much more likely to buy a new creek boat, because I feel like I'd be more likely to break it within the warranty period. I'm not sure I'd ever buy a new playboat because there are so many out there and they don't take nearly the beating of a creekboat. I happened to notice a 420 in the swap for 400. I'm about your size and I feel like the 420 is just barely to small at 55 gallons, and I feel 65 is a big difference. I have seen lighter folks than me throw down the project 62 in flatwater though. I guess it depends what you want. Like, if you want to stimulate the industry and the economy buy exactly what you want new with the warranty and try your hardest to break it in one year. Kind of sounds like you're looking at project 62, or seeing as you didn't like the biscuit or pyranha's plastic. But, just so you know I saw a Habitat FREAKIN explode on bailey the other day. Dagger is making a 59 gallon agent, which could also be the ticket, and the ever popular kingpin 6.3. They are also still making the RPM

Herbie
Old 09-04-2009   #7

On new versus used for a playboat, I am flexible. It'll be my only boat so I don't mind dropping some dough for new provided I love the boat. Otherwise I'll ride some used junk like I do now.

Demo'd an '08 Superstar on shoshone, didn't like it enough to buy. It felt really long and really wide. I'd like to cut the first 4 inches off the thing. Did I mention I am only 5'8" with 8.5 feet, so fit is no problem in most anything. I was able to get basic flatwater cartwheeling etc right away and I'm sure it would have come along great with time and with more attention to where the seat was and outfitting. Downriver paddling was almost too easy, I paddle mostly III-IV and like it be fun and challenging. Surfing felt numb and the edges seemed far off and slow to react. I found myself just front surfing when normally I would have been atleast carving or trying moves. Maybe thats all because it was a unfamiliar boat, but anyway I don't think the 64 gallon superstar or similar sized boats are the way to go. Next on the list: Dagger Agent and Biscuit 55
Old 09-04-2009   #8

Indian Hills, Colorado
get a 55 gallon used playboat and an 80 gallon used creeker and you'll be set for $1000. one boat households make me sad.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote