what to buy - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-28-2007   #1

greensboro, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2004
what to buy

howdy yall
im kinda new to white water kayak. been paddeling for a few years but never hit anything bigger then a short class 3 until recently. i went to the us whitewater center in charlotte nc and now im hooked
i am lookin to purchase a cross over type kayak......something that can do white water and creekin.......i have been told either the deisel 65 by wave sport or the thunder 65 by riot. i already have 3 kayaks and dont want to get 2 specialty kayaks..tryin to find one to do it all...besides wife will get mad if i come home with 2............any advice ?????????

davedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2007   #2

Denver, Colorado
there really is no "do it all" boat out there. In other words, you'll have to compromise somewhere along the line.

That said, the Diesel does a lot of things really well. The only thing it doesn't do is play. It'll creek and it'll run big rivers but it's not an air-boat.

If you want a boat that will play and will river run, get the Big EZ, but it doesn't creek well...you basically have to decide where you want to lack.

If I were you, a Diesel would be a mean machine to own. If you want to do it all you will need to get 2 boats eventually.
climbhoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbhoser View Post
there really is no "do it all" boat out there. In other words, you'll have to compromise somewhere along the line.

That said, the Diesel does a lot of things really well. The only thing it doesn't do is play. It'll creek and it'll run big rivers but it's not an air-boat.

If you want a boat that will play and will river run, get the Big EZ, but it doesn't creek well...you basically have to decide where you want to lack.

If I were you, a Diesel would be a mean machine to own. If you want to do it all you will need to get 2 boats eventually.
thanks....im leaning more twords creekin and less playing.....like to surf it some and be able to manuver around in the rapids....not thinkin about gettin air in this......that will be another boat down the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2007   #4

Denver, Colorado
I'm a big fan of creekers, personally. The Diesel will do exactly what you want it to, but you won't find one for cheap. You can, however, find some pretty good deals on a CFS. While it's not exactly a river runner (quite the opposite), I find it does run rivers pretty well. And, it creeks like a dream. It'll surf, too, and spin if you know how to.

The only issue with these kinds of boats for surfing is their length. If you're going to buy new, and want a boat strictly for creeking but want it short for some surf then I would buy a Bliss-Stick Scud. Those boats are wicked fun in a play hole, even though their abilities are limited.

Sounds like the Diesel might be the ticket, though.
climbhoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbhoser View Post
I'm a big fan of creekers, personally. The Diesel will do exactly what you want it to, but you won't find one for cheap. You can, however, find some pretty good deals on a CFS. While it's not exactly a river runner (quite the opposite), I find it does run rivers pretty well. And, it creeks like a dream. It'll surf, too, and spin if you know how to.

The only issue with these kinds of boats for surfing is their length. If you're going to buy new, and want a boat strictly for creeking but want it short for some surf then I would buy a Bliss-Stick Scud. Those boats are wicked fun in a play hole, even though their abilities are limited.

Sounds like the Diesel might be the ticket, though.
thanks for your input