What size oars and frame for 12' Hyside? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-28-2011   #1
4Life

Moustacheville, North Carolina
What size oars and frame for 12' Hyside?

I have a 1997 Hyside 12' Outfitter Pro and I am about to purchase an NRS frame for it. I took some measurements of the raft and I got Width (C toC)=57", and Length (of flat area)=60".

Based on this I will be getting a Big Horn I with 60" cross tubes (I have heard it's ok to go a little wider) and 60" side rails.

Now I am trying to determine the correct length oars to get. I read a formula somewhere that said you multiply the width of the frame (60), times 3 and divide by 2 to get the length of the oars. So 60*3=180/2=90= 7.5 feet. My guess without the formula would have been 8 feet, and the NRS sizing guide agrees. I am new to rowing but very experienced with whitewater. I live on the East Coast, so I am paddling technical rivers. The highest volume river I would be rowing out here is the Upper Gauley.

That all being said, what size oars do I need!?

DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011   #2
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
Get the 8 footers, you can always cut them down and they should be the same price. I'm sure those formulas can be helpful in narrowing it down, but you really need to try the frame and oars on the boat in the water to determine that they are at the right angle and the handles sit at the right height with the blades in the water.
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Get 8 1/2. 8 foot oars were a little short for the Mini-Me, in my opinion. I used 8 1/2 in my Mini-Me and loved them. Your boat is a little wider so you really should be choosing between 8 1/2 and 9. 9 foot oars are a little more common I think.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011   #4

Boise, Idaho
Early in the season I was able to get craplisles for cheap on craigslist. They are pretty easy to chop if you buy em long. I would start at around at least 9 feet.

You can sometimes save money by buying individual frame pieces as opposed to buying "named" setups.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I don't think that formula is very accurate. If I used that formula for my 66 in. Cat frame, I'd need 8 ft. oars, which is off by 1 - 1.5 feet. for a 14 X 24 Cat. The NRS oar fit list recommends 8-9 ft. oars for a 60 in. frame. You also need to consider tube size & seat height in your decision. I'd go with Randaddy's suggestion of 8.5 ft. oars. I speak from experience.....you'll regret having short oars.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #6
4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterman View Post
Early in the season I was able to get craplisles for cheap on craigslist. They are pretty easy to chop if you buy em long. I would start at around at least 9 feet.

You can sometimes save money by buying individual frame pieces as opposed to buying "named" setups.
Try finding ANY rowing gear second hand on the East Coast....I have been looking for months now. You have all the good stuff out west!
Old 07-29-2011   #7

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBag View Post
Try finding ANY rowing gear second hand on the East Coast....I have been looking for months now. You have all the good stuff out west!
Have you looked at the NRS gear swap? I found several second hand frame parts on there, and I've sold lots of used gear.
If you could find some 8.5 Carlisle oars to start with, you could see how they work for you, then cut them down if you wanted. Once you are sure of your oar length, you could shop for better oars.
Good luck & have fun with the raft.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #8
4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Have you looked at the NRS gear swap? I found several second hand frame parts on there, and I've sold lots of used gear.
If you could find some 8.5 Carlisle oars to start with, you could see how they work for you, then cut them down if you wanted. Once you are sure of your oar length, you could shop for better oars.
Good luck & have fun with the raft.
KJ
Yeah, just not a fan of buying something that I can't see first in person. Buying long distance sketches me out too...
Old 07-29-2011   #9

Cody, Wyoming
NRS frame, towers, and oars

i have a NRS Otter 11.5, it is shorter and narrower than your raft. i use a 48" NRS frame on it, and have 8' carlisle oars. i also have a NRS Otter 150 with a 66" frame and 10' oars. based on my experience, i would offer the following:

-if you get a NRS frame, consider getting the tall 8" towers instead of the standard 6" towers they put on most of their frame packages. i am 6-1, and the standard towers set the oars too low so they were always bashing my knees on both boats. the tall 8" towers give you more adjustment flexibility as well.
-a 60" wide NRS frame with tall 8" towers would work best with 9' oars IMO. i think my 8' oars are just right with my 48" frame/8" towers. i had tried shorter 7' oars with the 48" frame and original 6" towers, and it did not work well. 8.5' oars might work for your setup, but i think any shorter than that (especially with 8" towers) would be uncomfortable.
-get the longest NRS side rails possible, even get them a few inches longer than the flat area of your boat. the side rails are easy to cut down to the exact size you want once you get them with a $15 pipe cutter in 10 minutes. a friend just bought a boat and frame package from NRS and they put 68" rails on the frame for a 14' boat, severely limiting his rigging options. long side rails give you lots more options and flexibility.

given that your frame size is between the two i own, i would suggest 9' oars to start. KJ is spot on - oars that are too short suck bad. i have cut down carlisle oars and it is pretty easy with the right tools and a little time, so go a bit long to start. just my 2c based on my experience with very similar setups. later.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #10

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I use a 54" X 68" frame with 9ft. cat oars. They might be a little long for the 12ft boat, but we also have a 14' boat and it's just easier to keep them the same. I've never had problems rowing the little boat with the 9 foot oars. It's still a Farrari compared to the big boat. I am only 5'1" so I am using the 8" towers because I have a DRE flip seat and it sits up higher than the nrs seat. It's really a nice setup. You'll love rowing that boat!
I've even used our 10' oars with the 12' boat on flat water. Soooo fast!
Kim
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote