what is the right kayak for a fist timer - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-27-2010   #1

raleigh, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
what is the right kayak for a fist timer

I am looking to buy a whitewater kayak for the first time and I am not sure what i should get. I have been whitewater rafting on guided tours a ton, but that is getting bouring. I want to start off running rivers in the southeast and eventually get into creeking. I have been looking at used kayaks and have found several in my price range, I don't want to buy a boat and go to my lessons with a kayak that is wrong for what I want to do.

pfunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010   #2

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfunc View Post
I am looking to buy a whitewater kayak for the first time and I am not sure what i should get. I have been whitewater rafting on guided tours a ton, but that is getting bouring. I want to start off running rivers in the southeast and eventually get into creeking. I have been looking at used kayaks and have found several in my price range, I don't want to buy a boat and go to my lessons with a kayak that is wrong for what I want to do.
This is a general answer as no specific one is correct.
Obviously demo demo demo...Find friends that will let you borrow.
What size are you/what boat will fit? And what are your goals. You say you eventually want to start creekin...Well thats probably a year or two off while you develop the skills. But thats a good place to start for buying a boat! I think the creek boats (I'm partial to the Burn) are easy to learn in and will last awhile.

So you can start out with a creek boat...now choose between edges (Burn) and a displacement hull (Jefe for example). Paddle both types of hulls and see which you like. After deciding on the hull you can then choose the brand which fits you the best! Welcome and GL!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010   #3

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
They should sticky one of these threads. You ask a good question but it is asked a lot. Gannon gives good advice and a few of us have offered other suggestion in this thread. https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/beginner-where-to-start-28802.html#post172126

Good luck and welcome to kayaking.

Tags
kayaking