What I learned in the Grand Canyon - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-28-2009   #1

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
What I learned in the Grand Canyon

I recently completed a July trip from Lee's to South Cove. I had never boated in the SW before and this is what I learned.

#1 Bimini! Wouldn't do the trip without one. Great for keeping the rower and the cooler in the shade. The umbrella on the other boat was never used because of the hassle of setting it up and the wind. Biminis don't mind wind. I salvaged three frames from a local boat shop and combined them to make two functional ones. I replace the covers with nylon reinforced PVC from a local fabric store ($7/yd, 60 inches wide). I can't sew but I can glue PVC. The white fabric was much cooler to sit under than the yellow.

#2 Stansport stove! Stansport that noted maker of fine outdoor equipment? I have used Coleman propane and white gas stoves for years. I recently used a Partner Steel stove during some fish work in the LCR. White gas can be messy and the propane stoves produce about 11,000 BTU/burner. Just before I left on the trip I was in BiMart and saw a Stansport stove with 2 burners totaling 50,000 BTU for $49.95 and decided to try it. It heated coffee and dishwater in a flash. The burners are a larger diameter so that they heat a pan more evenly for cooking things like french toast and pancakes. The electronic ignition worked every time.

#3 A team of swimmers makes a poor substitute for an outboard. But they are quieter and it was kind of fun for a while.

#4 The "tide" on the river is real, even at the lower end. Fortunately it was easy to push the cat down the sandy bank.

#5 Glad I did Diamond down. It only took 1 1/2 hours with swim breaks to row across Lake Mead.

#6 Loved it! Does anybody have an opening for 2010?

Wadeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
LOL! Swimmer propulsion ftw!

Sounds like an awesome trip, soooooo jealous!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
The stove sounds cool, but what's the story on those adjustable legs on the roll-a-table? They look great. Can they be ordered from Camp Time?
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009   #4

Walterville, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
The stove sounds cool, but what's the story on those adjustable legs on the roll-a-table? They look great. Can they be ordered from Camp Time?
KJ
I bought them directly from Camp Time [email protected]. They are a big improvement for my 20 year old table. They extend to 31 inches, about 4 inches higher than the standard legs, and collapse to 22 1/2 inches, a perfect height for a card table. Obviously they are great for setting up a table on uneven ground.

I also like the stove stand. It frees up a lot of table space, is very stable and is made from aluminum so it doesn't weigh much.
Old 07-30-2009   #5

fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
The Bimini looks cool. Do you have plans/sketches? What size cat did you take? I have a 16' but am thinking of finding bigger tubes. What do you think?
Wnt2b0at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #6

Walterville, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnt2b0at View Post
The Bimini looks cool. Do you have plans/sketches?
I don't have plans for a bimini. Like I said I lucked out and salvaged a couple of used aluminum frames that just happened to be the right width for my raft frames from a local boat shop . But before that I was thinking about building bimini frames from 1 1/4 inch PVC pipe. I think it would be strong enough and fairly cheap. The swiveling joints could be made from threaded PVC fittings. There was a thread "Bimini Tops Pros and Cons" this spring that convince me they are the way to go (yes I was also disappointed about no letter "k" and the lack of pictures). Skippaa built his own and might be able to help you with plans. Try googling "river sombrero" for a commercial source of biminis and get light colored fabric because it reflects more heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnt2b0at View Post
What size cat did you take? I have a 16' but am thinking of finding bigger tubes. What do you think?
My cat has 20' by 30" tubes. I built it specifically for the Grand and to use as a sweep boat in Idaho and Oregon. It can carry way too much gear. I believe 16 ft tubes should be adequate for the Grand, but after one trip I am not an expert. I also took a 14 1/2 ft round boat that didn't have any problems so I would guess your cat will be OK. It depends and what other boats are on your trip and how much gear there is to haul.
Old 07-30-2009   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks for the post. Sounds like you had a great trip.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Also - where did you get the legs for the stove? Do they come with the stove?
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #9

Walterville, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
Also - where did you get the legs for the stove? Do they come with the stove?
I have had the stove stand for a very long time and am not sure where it came from. I believe a friend gave it to me to replace a steel one I have that is the same design, but is much heavier.

However, I found this source on the web and it seems to be the same thing. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=421622 One problem though is that the legs are only angle so I had to weld on feet to keep it from sinking into sand.

Coleman also makes a stove stand that appears to be good, although I have no direct experience. The price is right and it already has feet. http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?CategoryID=27400&product_id=2191A700
Old 07-31-2009   #10

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Stove Table with room to set hot pots