What Frame for Super Puma? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 04-15-2010   #1

steamboat springs, Colorado
What Frame for Super Puma?

Hi All,

I'm looking into frames for a new Super Puma. I like simple, two bay (sit on drybox or cooler, drybox/cooler/short table up front). NRS lists a max width of 48" for the frame, which makes the Bighorn I the only option from NRS. But, like I said, I'd rather have two bays, than the one offerred in the bighorn.

Super Puma owners or others...what frame do you use or have you used? What do you like?

With such a narrow boat, I would like to maximize storage space for multidays, that is why I stay away from fishing frames or single bays. Let me know if you guys/gals have any insight on what to look for.

Thanks!

Ed.

3d3vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010   #2
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
You should have got the super duper puma for multiday. Anyways your boat is 3" narrower than my super duper puma of which I have 4 bays (including cockpit). To "maximize" space you are going to have to go custom (which does not necessarily = more $$$). Build your own NRS style frame to suit your frame width and max length for that boat. Either use NRS lowpros, speedrail, Star frame knuckles, or the badass double or single rail machined fittings now available (see the commercial post on the buzz). If you want a dry box you are going to have to go custom on the size to maximize (Madcatr is what I have, great!). Build your own custome table deck to fit what ever your size needs end up to be. Here is what I have with the 1-ft longer and 3 inch wider boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shappart Owyhee 2009 (2).JPG
Views:	1885
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	2486  
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #3

Idaho, Wyoming
super puma frame

i use an nrs fishing frame 54" wide by 72" long and it works great. i have extra cross bars that i use for a cooler seat for multi days and also to hold a standard nrs 64" table with a drop bag beneath it. if on a multi day "fishing" trip, the elevated front seat can still be used with this set up. the extra frame width allows me to strap gear along the side rails easily or to run my spare oars on top of the frame instead of hanging off the side. i started with all the stand up crap and sold it. you don't need to stand to fish from a super puma. i also picked up a used nrs 48"W x 50"L light weight frame for those days when you need to throw it over the fence or do some portaging.
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010   #4

billfish - what length sidebars do you have there--65"?

Do you guys use the tall oar mount (8")? I've heard that these are preferred for the Super Puma...
Old 04-20-2010   #5

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
The Colorado 3-bay from Down River. Kicks ass.

Sit over the dry-box. Captains bags or slings in the footbay. 93qt cooler in the front bay.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #6

Idaho, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d3vart View Post
billfish - what length sidebars do you have there--65"?

Do you guys use the tall oar mount (8")? I've heard that these are preferred for the Super Puma...

my side rails are 72" long and my oar stands are 9.5" adapted from old style 3 piece NRS oar stands. just back from deso and the boat/frame combination worked great, although i wouldn't want it any smaller.
Old 04-25-2010   #7

Idaho, Wyoming
super puma in joe hutch rapid.
Old 04-25-2010   #8

I have the DRE 3 bay frame on my Superpuma and I love it. I have a flip seat, and my dry box (custom made by DRE) is too tall to go under it, so it goes in the front bay, and the cooler goes under the seat. Before I got the flip seat, I just sat on the dry box.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #9

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Those oar stands are cool. Wonder why they quit making them. Seems like they could be tailored to fit anything.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
I have the DRE 3 bay frame on my Superpuma and I love it. I have a flip seat, and my dry box (custom made by DRE) is too tall to go under it, so it goes in the front bay, and the cooler goes under the seat. Before I got the flip seat, I just sat on the dry box.
What size cooler do you Super PUma owners use? It looks like a 45 or 50 quart cooler is all that will fit...anyone find something bigger that works? I figure I'll need something in the 26" range lengthwise to fit between the tubes.

Tags
aire, frame, super puma