What Floor is best? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-16-2011   #1

Pittsburg, California
Paddling Since: 1986
What Floor is best?

I am new to this site as a registered member but I have been visting for a couple of weeks now and from what I have seen, this is a great place to learn and seek advice from experienced boaters.
I am in the process of putting together a raft outfit for drift fishing. I still have my 25 year old Campway raft and frame that my son recently talked me in to getting out of the shed. It hasn't seen any use for about 20 years and to my suprise, it s in great shape and we spent a couple of days fishing the Klamath and had a blast.Never had to ad air and still works great for what it is. So, now that my interest is rekindled, I have been researching what's available out there in boats. I am hoping to get some input of self bailing floor designs. Many years ago, I had a Cascade Outfitter's self bailer with the I Beam floor and it was great but I would like some advice on which floor design would be better for fishing; I Beam or Drop Stiched. The drop stiched seems to be a more stable platform but like the idea of a one piece floor.
Any help with this decsion is apprecited.
Thanks!
Fisher5000

fisher5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011   #2

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Buy an american made raft,more money but well worth it! Your budget is the key to the raft of your needs. Maravia,Sotar, Aire just to mention a few.Did I say Aire ? I have a156R with no hard floor,no need for it. That old Campways will work for drift fishing just fine. cam straps @ plywood will get er done! Or go crazy like the rest of us on this site.The most important thing is to get your son on the river with all the gear to make river travel safe.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #3

Pittsburg, California
jpbay, thanks for the info. Two reasons for the floor design question; At times, standing while fishing is important and the second reason is that my Lab won't let me leave the house to go fishing without her and a self bailing floor would alleviate her sitting in water all day in a bucket boat. There are a lot of boats to look at and although money is not the issue,I need to be able to justify the expense based on how often and where I use it.
I have an Alumaweld in my garage and that is my main fishing craft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I own a Sotar with an I-beam floor. Because the material is stiff, standing up on it means very little give and my feet stay dry. it tracks well and I've heard that drop stitched floors don't track as well? Also, I've been told that patching them can be problematic.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
check out Jacks Plastic Welding fishing raft or their fishing oriented cat a raft. With the cat design you can have a solid marine plywood floor to stand on.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011   #6

Pittsburg, California
More good input, thanks! The tracking of the two floor types is an interesting thought and one that would influence a decision. Although I am usually going to be on the oars while someone in front is fishing, I do want to fish as well and the better tracking floor design would allow me to do that without constantly having to adjust the attitude of the boat.
Unfortunately, I don't remember a whole lot from 20 years ago when I had my Cascade with the I beam floor other than it was always dry.
Old 09-17-2011   #7

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Although I don't have any personal experience with it- I know that NRS makes a myriad of fishing frame set ups that allow for standing.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011   #8

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Aire makes a pretty nice floor. Though it is an I-beam floor, in practice it perform more like a drop stitch due to their Aire cell technology. When pumped up tight it's rock solid to stand on so no need for hard floors for a fishing set up.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
A few options for you:

1. Get a drop stitch floor that fits your existing boat, then punch holes in your floor and strap the drop stitch floor in place. You now have a funky self bailer with a stable platform to fish from. Classy? no. Inexpensive? Potentially yes. Great for harder whitewater? Nope, but good for fishing.

2. Frames - There are tons of frame options out there. With your existing boat you could get (or build) a frame with casting platforms, and a doggie deck. If you don't run much big whitewater this would also be fairly economical and not as special as option #1. You are still using your old well functioning boat. Check out the gearswap section on NRS or the classified ads on this site.

3. New (or new to you) Boat - Generally drop stitch floors are more solid, as are plastic (PVC or Polyurethane) boats. Easier to stand on and less need for big frames with floors and casting platforms. Also look at the PSI that the floor is designed for. Higher PSI will make a more solid surface. Maybe your existing frame will fit a new boat, maybe you need a new one. If you have plenty of cash a new boat, like an AIRE with a fishing frame, maybe a NRS or a Recretec fishing frame would be sweet.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011   #10

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
A few options for you:

1. Get a drop stitch floor that fits your existing boat, then punch holes in your floor and strap the drop stitch floor in place. You now have a funky self bailer with a stable platform to fish from. Classy? no. Inexpensive? Potentially yes. Great for harder whitewater? Nope, but good for fishing.

2. Frames - There are tons of frame options out there. With your existing boat you could get (or build) a frame with casting platforms, and a doggie deck. If you don't run much big whitewater this would also be fairly economical and not as special as option #1. You are still using your old well functioning boat. Check out the gearswap section on NRS or the classified ads on this site.

3. New (or new to you) Boat - Generally drop stitch floors are more solid, as are plastic (PVC or Polyurethane) boats. Easier to stand on and less need for big frames with floors and casting platforms. Also look at the PSI that the floor is designed for. Higher PSI will make a more solid surface. Maybe your existing frame will fit a new boat, maybe you need a new one. If you have plenty of cash a new boat, like an AIRE with a fishing frame, maybe a NRS or a Recretec fishing frame would be sweet.
If NRS and Recretec frames are sweet, then DRE fishing frames will give you instant diabetes.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote