What drybox hanger height for a 14' Otter or Revolution? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 03-22-2012   #1

norcal, California
What drybox hanger height for a 14' Otter or Revolution?

I have a 14' NRS Revolution which I think is the same spec as the Otter. Anyone have a suggestion for the dry box hanger height (distance from the bottom of the box I mean)? I'd like the box to be as low as possible, with an inch or two of clearance off the floor. I'd measure my own raft, but it's in storage and won't come out 'til May. Thanks!

barcolounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012   #2

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcolounger View Post
I have a 14' NRS Revolution which I think is the same spec as the Otter. Anyone have a suggestion for the dry box hanger height (distance from the bottom of the box I mean)? I'd like the box to be as low as possible, with an inch or two of clearance off the floor. I'd measure my own raft, but it's in storage and won't come out 'til May. Thanks!
Call NRS and ask them for dimensions. If they aren't confident in their answer, call Andy & Bax in Portland. They have one on thier floor and would be happy to throw a tape on it and measure it for you.
clinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #3

I would measure my own before dropping money on a box when inches count. Just through the manufacturing process each boat is going to be a bit different, maybe even a inches here or there. Stretch, wear, different factors come in. I'd hate to measure another boat, drop several hundred, then have it be two inches off. Could easily happen.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012   #4

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by clinks View Post
Call NRS and ask them for dimensions. If they aren't confident in their answer, call Andy & Bax in Portland. They have one on thier floor and would be happy to throw a tape on it and measure it for you.
On the floor? Wouldn't the floor height inside the boat be a little different when the boat is on the water? Thinking.......I'm not sure.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
Take it from someone who trusted the published stock measurements on their raft.

Air up your raft the pressure you generally load and row it, put it in the water and measure it yourself before you spend the money for a dry box with hangers. Once they weld on the hangers it is possible but difficult to redo the deal.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
Take it from someone who trusted the published stock measurements on their raft.

Air up your raft the pressure you generally load and row it, put it in the water and measure it yourself before you spend the money for a dry box with hangers. Once they weld on the hangers it is possible but difficult to redo the deal.
This is good advice, I have welded hangers on my boxes and when my boat is in the garage i have about four inches of space between my boxes and the floor. When its on the water that space diminises to 2 in or less depending on how heavy I'm loaded. Measure twice weld once.
ccombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #7

fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 97
do you have the box already w/ no tabs/ hangers? Okie is right. get your boat out there, hell even if it's just on the lake.
Old 03-24-2012   #8
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Question

I use NRS strap hanger for my kitchen dry box. They have worked very well. Is there any advantage to welding hangers on the frame?
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #9

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
One less thing to rig or buy. And your box should have about 13" below the tabs, your drop from the top of the tubes to the floor is 13", the tabs sit on top of the frame (1.5") so the box will hang an inch above the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
I use NRS strap hanger for my kitchen dry box. They have worked very well. Is there any advantage to welding hangers on the frame?
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Here was the general rule of thumb used at Down River Equipment when I worked there:
Measure from the top of the raft floor to the top of the raft tube on dry land. Let's say that measures 13." That is the number DRE would generally use to set the taps on a dry box. The O.D of the pipe DRE uses is basically 2." With tabs set at 13" and resting on 2" O.D. pipe, you will have 2" of clearance between the raft floor and the dry box when the raft is on dry land.
The reality is, when your raft is loaded and in the water, the floor is going to want to rise up 2" or more. Using loop straps over your dry box and/or cooler will help hold the floor down, just as the thwarts would do if they were being used. This formula can certainly cause some rubbing between the floor and the dry box. You can add more spacing if you like. The 2" rule is a nice compromise between getting maximum dry storage and usually not causing too much floor rub. It is always a good idea to inspect your raft often wherever there are friction issues (frame side rails, dry boxes, coolers, floors, etc.).
zboda is offline   Reply With Quote