What dangers should you watchout for when buying a used kayak? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 01-14-2013   #1

Roseburg, Oregon
What dangers should you watchout for when buying a used kayak?

I have been thinking about buying a used whitewater kayak. I was curious as to what I should watch out for so as to avoid buying an undependable kayak. Thanks.

ty_burg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Find out what kind of rivers the OP ran with it. If it's class V or creeks, look for cracks and a bottom that is beat to shit.

If they ran anything up to most IV's, the boat is probably fine.

Lots of unpopular boat designs for sale used.
Popular boats that people love don't get sold as often. What type of boating do you plan to do?

Edit: Based on the fact that you're asking, I assume you're relatively new to the sport. River running, basic river play?
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #3

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
There are really two things to know about kayaks and dependabilty:

- These things are good for a ton of rock hits
- There is a limit

In Oregon, I wouldn't buy a creek boat that has seen a lot of the Miracle Mile, the Truss or especially the Little White. Generally, look for signs of distress in the plastic, or a bump on on the bottom (called an oil can). Oil canned boats have a very short time left before they crack.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013   #4

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
First, make sure you can actually sit in the boat. Remember anyone can squeeze into a boat for 5 minutes but what is you ass going to feel like in 30 minutes? Next, take a flashlight and look inside the boat for wear around the seat and pilars. And look for micro cracks in the hull. Look the boat over for discoloration. Sun fading and shiny spots where welding or a heat gun may have been used. Loosen the outfitting and make sure it moves freely. Always ask the seller if they have any extras they would be willing to throw in. Rope, bingers, dry bags are all nice. Make sure YOU like the boat. Don't get talked into buying a boat. People who like their boats are more likely to use them. Here's the bad part. No matter what boat you buy, your gona want something different next year. good luck.
Old 01-14-2013   #5

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
One of the biggest risks in buying a used kayak is buying an obsolete design, or a boat design that isn't worth paying for.

For example, stay away from the Riot brand and you probably want a boat under nine feet in length.

It absolutely makes sense to get feedback from this forum and other paddlers on the designs you are considering.

Chances are good that you will make a smart purchase if you ask for feedback before you purchase.

-Micah
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #6

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Boats a boat bro if its beat up offer 100 dollars of it looks far offer 300 to 400 max that's how I roll. Riot or not you can do what you need to, to get started. I owned a micro 240 as my first creek boat I bought it for 100 dollars cracked it but was worth the could trips I had in it.. Have fun
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #7

Bazzaro, Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
I owned a micro 240 as my first creek boat I bought it for 100 dollars cracked it but
A mirco 240 was the hot boat back then and 100 bucks was alot of money.

But I would agree to get a cheep boat that does the job over trying to find the perfect used boat.

Link to micro 240 for sale
Old 01-15-2013   #8

Roseburg, Oregon
Thanks for the replys guys. I am new to kayaking and just moved into a new house on the north umpqua river and am looking for a playboat that can also handle a little bit of river running too. Oh and of course hopefully won't break the bank.
ty_burg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #9

Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_burg
Thanks for the replys guys. I am new to kayaking and just moved into a new house on the north umpqua river and am looking for a playboat that can also handle a little bit of river running too. Oh and of course hopefully won't break the bank.
Give me a shout when you find one. I can't wait to get back on the N. Umpqua. Paddled it a week and a half ago for the first time. The area is amazing.
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #10

Bazzaro, Free
How far from portland are ya?

The hated riot

Cant go wrong with the fun

More hated riot

Not a totally bad choice

These guys actuall have a couple different boats for sale

Just a quick seach of the PNW.