What are the best shoes to wear for WW kayaking? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-30-2012   #1

Shelby, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2012
What are the best shoes to wear for WW kayaking?

I've been looking at several different options over the past couple of weeks of what would work the best. What do you guys wear and suggest? I've looked at sandels, wetsuit booties, the vibram five fingers, and other amphibious shoes. I'm also keeping in the back of my mind the hike in and out of where ever we are kayaking and don't think wetsuit booties would hold up for that? Opinions, suggestions ???

GosuPaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012   #2

Sterling, Colorado
Paddling Since: 5011
I'm a pretty big fan of five fingers.
Kyrgh82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #3

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I have had a couple pairs of tevas and they either fall apart or are uncomfortable in my boat try some cheap chuck Taylor's they are the best ones i have found
huck_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012   #4

durango, Colorado
got a pair of teva water shoes the gnarkosi, last season and i have been stoked on them for sure. they drain well and have great grip on wet rocks etc. that being said the chuck Ts are still the coolest kicks around!
carnuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #5

DFW, Texas
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GosuPaintballer View Post
I've been looking at several different options over the past couple of weeks of what would work the best. What do you guys wear and suggest? I've looked at sandels, wetsuit booties, the vibram five fingers, and other amphibious shoes. I'm also keeping in the back of my mind the hike in and out of where ever we are kayaking and don't think wetsuit booties would hold up for that? Opinions, suggestions ???
I like a neoprene boot with a solid sole. There a plenty out there that are better than your standard booties with simple textured soles. Just all depends on what kind of weather and water temp you are paddling in. Five fingers are great in the summer but I wouldn't use them in colder water. My feet get cold easy so I like the neoprene shoes best.
SDA000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #6

Indian Hills, Colorado
It depends on what you're doing. If you're playboating and need to fit in a little boat, booties all the way. Doesn't matter which ones you get because they fall apart.

If you're paddling a boat that can fit shoes: wear shoes. Last year I broke my foot taking a big step down on loose rocks with a creek boat on my shoulder and cheap booties on my feet. Just my 2cents after that experience. I ended up with a pair of Teva Avators, which I've been very happy with.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I LOVE my mion's but since they are out of business, they are getting hard to find. Created by the same dude that made keen...until the ugly split...hence mion (my own). Made from croc like material, but with a bomber sole. Ebay prob has a pair or two your size.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #8

Akron, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2009
The kayaking shoes I just bought SUCK. They hold water and don't drain at all. I think running shoes are great...
Gary D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #9

Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
gary D, what model? Don't hold back
I was gonna say, you can wear your old running shoes in a creeker. Much better arch support than my NRS Cross-4 Wetshoes, and those have a better sole than playboat booties. Then I started wearing old low top hikers, which have better toe protection than trail runners. To upgrade from there => sticky rubber, and a higher boot to keep out sand (with drysuit latex socks, I don't like getting sand and pebbles in my shoes). Would like to try on the Keene Gorge boots, in spite of the spotty reviews on durability. The 5.10 Canyoneers don't fit my hard-to-fit feet. Interested in the proliferation of lowtop "water shoe" models, but over $100 I am not sold yet. 5.10 Savants look like a deluxe high dollar option. I have some old 5.tennies that could work, but they are sized smaller for climbing.
Playboating, you have to go with what fits in the boat. One reason I upsized to a Monstar was so I can wear comfy shoes. (I am not much of a playboater obviously, but I like to surf and spin, and attempt new tricks like the 180 headplant .
wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Five Ten Water Tennie

I've looked for a good creeking shoe for years. I bought the Five Ten Water Tennie last year and couldn't be more stoked. The stealth rubber sticks to everything, the sole protects the bottom of your foot and provides stability, and it's low profile so it fits well in a kayak.

Just make sure you order a half size or full size larger than you usually wear if you don't get to try them on first. (I usually wear an 11 and the 11.5 is snug with a sock on)
GunnyRyan is offline   Reply With Quote