Wetsuit or Drypants - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-26-2009   #1

Broomfield, Colorado
Wetsuit or Drypants

Looking for some opinions on whether to purchase a farmer john type wetsuit or drypants for my primary bottom outer layer.

bill-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009   #2

Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Depends on how much you swim. When I was first learning I wore a farmer john because I was swimming. Now that I don't swim very often I wear splash pants because they are much more comfortable.
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Go with drypants. They will serve more of a purpose as your skills progress.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009   #4
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Go with drypants. They will serve more of a purpose as your skills progress.
X2 What he said.
Old 09-27-2009   #5

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
I wear a shorty wetsuit and when it gets really cold I put on dry pants...Works really well since you have mobility with the shorty, core warmth with the wet suit, and dryness with minimal loss of mobility when you put the pants on. The drypants I wear are 40$ from REI...I figured they were cheap since they were only 40 but they are completely dry!!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #6

don't get the drypants that have the latex gaskets on the ankles. If you swim they fill up at the waste area and there is no where for the water to run out because of the latex on your ankles.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #7

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I paid a little more and got the Kokatat Tropos bibs link they mate with a drytop and resolve panicman's issue.
I can mix and match depending on the weather and temp. With the Tropos drytop they become a drysuit. I've done two SWR courses with them and they were completely dry.

The guys I boat with think it is a pretty sweet set-up, I agree.

B.C.
rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #8

San Juan Islands, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by panicman View Post
don't get the drypants that have the latex gaskets on the ankles. If you swim they fill up at the waste area and there is no where for the water to run out because of the latex on your ankles.
I've never had this problem. I've never had more than a trickle of water down mine even when Iking or taking a good swim. I like them for rafting, I can stand in cold water and stay nice and warm. My drysuit has latex socks and there's no comparison.
I think everyone needs a farmerjohn even though I rarely wear mine.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #9

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Drypants - have had mine for a long time, use them for fishing, kayaking, rafting, swimming. If the water's too cold you can throw a pair of polypro johns or fuzzys to keep warm. just be sure and get them big (loose) enough to layer. mine were purchased many years (and many lbs)ago - getting tight - don't want to feel like a sausage out there do you? Depending on the seal at the waist you should keep most of the water out. combined with most drytops that have tunnels they're almost totaly waterproof.
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #10

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Yeh, I can stand in neck deep water and barely get a few drops in my drysuit (drytop + pants). If only I had cankles I would be totally dry!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote