webbing wrap for oars-advise? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-18-2009   #1

loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
webbing wrap for oars-advise?

I tried rope wrapping my oars with mixed results and I read a thread here about webbing wrapping oars. I'd like to give that a try. So, I've purchased polypropylene webbing and I'm trying to work out the details. What adhesives work? How much overlap? Where does adhesive need to be applied? I've found a few 3M products that say they bond polypropylene. Anyone out there that has done this with words of advise? Thanks!

cpollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2009   #2

Jacksonville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Are you using climbing/safety webbing? Anyone I know (including myself) has used 2" wide seatbelt-type webbing. It's strong, durable, and only mildly difficult to get (ebay, etc...). It also lies flush edge to edge, making the slide through the oarlocks very smooth. I'm not so sure how tubular type webbing will do, having one side tacked down to the oar and the other side a bit loose.

To address your questions:

Use Contact Cement. Hardware store. One layer on the oar, one layer on the webbing.

Don't overlap at all. Keep it flush edge to edge and it will be smooth and quiet in the locks.

OK... wrap the amount of webbing you want onto the oar, cut the webbing, and trace the edges with a sharpie pen. This gives you the area to coat with cement. lay the coats on either surface, let it set a while, and wrap it tightly onto the oar the same way you did initially. Wrap the ends with a tape you choose; I use black duct tape. You can replace the tape as needed. It's been solid for three years, and if/when it wears out, I'll just pull it off and repeat. Lemme know if you have more questions!
Old 06-22-2009   #3

loveland, Colorado
Thanks for the info. I wasn't patient enough to wait so I ended up trying a version similar to the rope wrap thread. Maybe for version II I'll try to find wider webbing and not do overlap.
I used 1" polyproplylene flat webbing (about .20/ft). It took about 12' to do a wrap. I also ended up using Loctite "All Plastics" Super Glue to make sure to hold the webbing to itself as well as the oar. I glued the first wrap and let it set. I overlapped slightly past 1/2" of the webbing, so the next wrap fell into the groove of the previous and kept this up until the wrap was complete. Then I went back through and twisted to tighten the webbing. It really locked down tight. Then I glued the final end in two stages. The first stage was to glue all but the last 3-4". This gave me something to hold onto to maintain tension. After that set, I glued down the last few inches. I wrapped each end with cloth tape to give it some extra protection and put back on the donuts. It seems to work very well. It was pretty cheap to do and after a few runs down the Poudre, all seems to be holding. I'll see if I can attach a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	webwrap1.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	555.6 KB
ID:	1640   Click image for larger version

Name:	webwrap2.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	617.1 KB
ID:	1641  

Name:	webwrap3.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	605.5 KB
ID:	1642  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009   #4

Jacksonville, Oregon
Right on! Looks pretty bomber and a lot thicker than my wrap. I used a much longer wrap on the oar due to a lot of sliding up and down in the oarlock with my rowing style, and as such, a thinner layer on the oar. Had to bang my oarlocks down smaller to keep 'em from poppin' out. Looks like you wont have that issue! Do you feel less "rub" on the locks than rope?
Old 06-22-2009   #5

Jacksonville, Oregon
Here's a pic for comparison
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	1643  
Old 06-22-2009   #6

loveland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyaker View Post
Right on! Looks pretty bomber and a lot thicker than my wrap. I used a much longer wrap on the oar due to a lot of sliding up and down in the oarlock with my rowing style, and as such, a thinner layer on the oar. Had to bang my oarlocks down smaller to keep 'em from poppin' out. Looks like you wont have that issue! Do you feel less "rub" on the locks than rope?
The webbing seems smoother than the rope wrap, but I was having problems on my rope wrap with the rope separating where the oarlock engaged it. The webbing does not separate. So far...so good.
Old 06-23-2009   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
good idea for frames!

I think this will be a great idea on my frame ( 4 tie down areas) where it rubs on the tubes! I think super 77 spray will work fine, it has over the years with glueing my padding in my kayak and easy to work with! Thanks for the idea!
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009   #8

Calgary, Alberta
I wanted to ropewrap my oars but figured out that the small oar-locks I bought are way too narrow to fit around my wodden oars (1.5" shafts) with the rope wrap. I have a trip this weekend and don't have time to do anything else, so I did a webbing wrap on the oars instead.

Because of the inner diameter of the rubber stoppers I have, 1 layer of webbing was not enough to keep the stoppers in place, so I did 2-layers on each oar. I wraped each layer in the opposite direction so that the seams cross each other. This creates a nice smooth surface and will likely result in less seperation due to the seams not overlaping in the same orientation. I secured the webbing with duct tape because I didn't want to epoxy this wrap down in case I change the setup and decide to rope wrape later. The duct tape makes it look a little worse than I would have hoped because I can't keep it from creasing when I pull the tape tight (maybe just poor quality tape???), but it will get me on the river for now.

I will try to post pics tonight when I get home.
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #9

Calgary, Alberta
Well, the webbing wrap I did wasn't really sucessful.

I used 1" utility webbing and didn't glue it down because I wasn't sure I wanted this method as my final solution. Like the problem cpollema described above, my wrap seperated where the oarlock engaged the wrap. The effect was slightly reduced in that I had 2 layers of wrap, so I still had some protection of the oar... but the main problem was that the wrap was effectively narrower (is that a word?) at this point and the oar would sometimes pop out on harder oar strokes. I'm sure some of this is an imperfect oar stroke on my part, as I'm new to this.

I'm fairly certain that glueing down the wrap would prevent this seperation, but I'm not sure I like the look of the wrap as I have it now (with duct tape keeping the ends in place) and don't know if I want to continue this way for a permanent solution.

My rubber stoppers tended to move up the oarlock as I rowed, and also required regular ajustment. I think the tighter fit of these donuts over the thicker rope wrap is the way I'd like to go... can anyone whose done a rope-wrap that has not seperated where the oarlock engages comment on how they achieved this?
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #10

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
From the ever helpful Chip:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...-to-23495.html
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote