Wavesport z kayak - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 10-02-2013   #1

Springfield, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 2013
Wavesport z kayak

Hello, I'm new to kayaking. I've done a few river runs. I am 5' 7" tall and weigh 160 lbs. I have wavesport ez. I like the fit a lot. However, when entering flat water (part of the race). The boat becomes very sluggish. I have the opportunity to buy a wavesport z. I've read that's a good river runner, but I'm concerned that it may be too big for me. Should I purchase the z? I know these are older models, but they fit my current budget. Is there a way to make the ez a little faster, move the seat forward or backward. Losing 10 lbs is possible, but will take some time. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Mayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013   #2

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
For you, I don't think that would be a good upgrade from the EZ.

What kind of boat do you want?
1) A dedicated playboat for tricks and easier rapids.
RECOMMENDATION: Jackson All-Star, Wave Sport Project52.
2) A playful boat that can run a little more difficult whitewater.
RECOMMENDATION: Keep your EZ, or seek out a Jackson Fun or Liquidlogic FreeRide.
3) A river running boat that you can push your ability to run harder whitewater in. These boats are the fastest, as in general length = speed.
RECOMMENDATION: Jackson Villain S or Hero. Dagger Mamba or Nomad. Liquidlogic Remix 69/79 or Stomper 80.

In general, bigger boats will be faster and help you begin to run harder whitewater. Smaller boats will be more playful and do more tricks.

The EZ is a better boat and fits you better than the Z. I would recommend making sure any potential purchase you make is of a boat that fits your size well. That means research to make sure you fit well within the weight range of the kayak model.

-Micah
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #3

Thanks

I'm not into play boating at all, just running the river. Thanks for all the advice, truly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013   #4

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
I think you want a boat that is between 7.5 and 8.5 feet long and with a volume of somewhere between 65 and 80 gallons.

Whitewater boats by Jackson, Liquidlogic, Dagger, Wave Sport, or Pyranha is a good place to start. It seems you could find something for a few hundred dollars such as:

-Villain S
-Hero
-Remix
-Mamba
-Nomad
-Diesel
-Habitat
-Burn
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #5

Favre

Thanks again for all the info. What do you think of the Wavesport X. It's described as a playboat / river runner. I only mention it, because I may be able to get one for a couple of hundred dollars, which is my budget. As you can see, I'm looking at tech from late 1990's to early 2000's - short on dough. thanks
Old 10-03-2013   #6

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayde View Post
Thanks again for all the info. What do you think of the Wavesport X. It's described as a playboat / river runner. I only mention it, because I may be able to get one for a couple of hundred dollars, which is my budget. As you can see, I'm looking at tech from late 1990's to early 2000's - short on dough. thanks
Had a Z and a lot of times wish i still did, X is just a smaller version of same mold. Those designs are almost timeless IMHO and the biggest advantage to most of the boats that are newer is the outfitting. If you take the time to update and personalize the inside of the boat i bet you will be happy. I think you would fit in an X but I could not. Great river running ability with the old school play. But if you keep your eye out can prolly score something newer for the same price range.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #7

kayakfreakus

Thanks for the great info. I will keep my eyes peeled