WaveSport X, .. beginner boat? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-26-2011   #1

Lakewood, 80214
Paddling Since: 2010
WaveSport X, .. beginner boat?

Hello to everyone again. Confluence Kayaks in Denver has a used Wavesport X. They want $250 for it. I haven't seen it yet. I'm a beginner paddler, started last year with duckies.. I really want a hard shell. I am 5 8 and around 140lbs. just wondering what you guys thought about this as a starter boat for someone my size? and if the price seems right.. thanks for any info guys. I love this site and am on it almost everyday

qsjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011   #2

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Im 140 pounds, that was my first boat, thats a fair price.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #3

longmont, Colorado
Its funny how peoples ideas of boat shapes and designs have changed. In its day the X was the hottest play boat you could get. Now people are wanting to get it as their first boat? Just be prepared it will be edgy. Learning in that boat will do one of two things for you. Either you will progress your paddling fast or you will get frustrated and be timid trying to learn in a boat thats to agressive for you. I would say demo it if you can or maybe look at a play/river running boat for your first year or two then step up to more of a freestyle boat. What are you wanting out of a boat? Playboating? River running? Creeking? Most people that really get into the sport need two boats a play boat and a creek boat. The price is right but be prepared stepping out of a duckie and into the X will be a BIG jump.
huck it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
$250 for a 17 year old boat? I disagree. It might be a forgiving design for your first day on the water, but that boat isn't worth more than $100. I'm not knocking Confluence, but that's where any 17 year old boat should be priced.

If you're willing to spend $250, there are dozens of boat designs made in the last 6-7 years within that price range that will provide better stability and a consistent learning curve. Especially at your size - it's 9'10" and 63 gallons; which was small back then, but gigantic now. You could probably get it to roll pretty quickly, but the narrowness and length will trip you up in moving water and delay your progression. Not to mention that cockpit might pose some problems for fitting a modern skirt.

Keep shopping.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #5

longmont, Colorado
I didnt notice your weight when I replied. Being only 140lbs the boat will float higher and the edges will be less of a factor.
Old 07-26-2011   #6

longmont, Colorado
17 years? Thats more like the frankinstein days. Dam remember when that was the hot boat. Oh and dont worry about cockpit size its a lrg. Same size as like a Jefe
Old 07-26-2011   #7

Lakewood, 80214
thank you guys for the insight. im going to try and take it to the pool tonight, if i like it maybe offer CK less money. if not ill keep shoping. anybody know anyone selling a boat my size?
Old 07-26-2011   #8

Lakewood, 80214
i should metion i am looking to do mostly river running, maybe some playboating.
Old 07-26-2011   #9
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
It was my first boat as well and I bought it because people called it a good beginner boat. It has forgiving edges and still makes a decent beginner boat, but I agree there's been a lot of design innovation since it came out. Some people still dig it for big water play.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #10

C.O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsjones View Post
i should metion i am looking to do mostly river running, maybe some playboating.
Back when the X was a playboat, the big new trick was a cartwheel. That boat can do that in a big enough wave as well as front surf, back surf, side surf and flat spins. Oh, and enders and stern squirts.

By today's standers, you would not be playboating in an X. You would be back on the market for a new boat next spring if not later this fall.

$250 is steep. I have a couple boats from that era that I have been unable to sell for even $50. (Prijon Samarai and Riot Slice).

-----I bought the Samarai because it is dang close to a X but less money at the time because nobody wanted to sell their X back in those days. If you really like the X size and design, You can have my Samarai for free. It needs a new backband. The current one is held on by a bungee cord that works for it's annual trip down the Royal Gorge but any new owner would want to upgrade that. It's beat up, but it's free.

I'm in Cañon City.
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote