Walmart stove - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-21-2011   #1
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Walmart stove

Has anyone had any experience with this stove? I just found it on Walmart and sure looks like Partner copy/cat.

Walmart.com: Stansport "Tuff Stove" Diamond Plate Steel 4 Burner Stove: Camping

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
From the photo, looks to me like an exact copy of my Partner Steel 4 burner which has survived many years of river trips and still works like new.

Not that much on Stansport I found on the internet.

From what I did find out, the company is based in CA and imports all it's products with a primary supplier being a company in China. That would, my opinion, explain why it looks like Partner Steel. China manufacturing makes neat looking copies of other people's product but their products rarely hold up over time.

Stansport web site sez the stove is diamond plate steel construction. Not the aluminum Partner Steel uses. The burners and related propane piping look to be exact copies of my Partner Steel, my guess is unless Stansport uses the same source as partner steel - those burners are suspect.

Bottom line, my guess is like most things we see on TV and Internet, it looks great on the advertisements but will fail completely after exposure to the elements of actual use.

No personal experience with Stansport except seeing their stuff in WalMart Stores.

Will be good to get feedback from someone who has the stove and who has used it on multiple river trips.

I am just glad I got my Partner Steel 4 and 2 burner stoves a long time ago.

Buy real Partner Steel gear for your trips soon just in case Partner Steel gets out of the river tripping equipment business!
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #3

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
I had seen that stove on the Stansport website, but didn't know where you could buy one. BiMart in the NW sells Stansport but not that stove. 3mm diamond plate steel and 33 lbs shipping weight? Might be a bit heavy.
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011   #4
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Ya looks like Partner stove is 8 lbs and this knock off is 33 lbs, quite a difference. Hauling that puppy to camp every night would be a work out.

I got too many friends with partner stoves, one of these days I will break down and buy me one of those 4 burners.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #5

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
No personal experience with Stansport except seeing their stuff in WalMart Stores.
I like my Stansport 2 burner. Lots of use and still going strong. The electronic ignition, larger burners and more than twice the BTU are great.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f15/what-i-learned-in-the-grand-canyon-26740.html

Raymo started a thread bout the 4 burner a while ago.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ove-28031.html

But I love my Partner 4 burner when I need a 4 burner.
Old 09-21-2011   #6

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
Has anyone had any experience with this stove? I just found it on Walmart and sure looks like Partner copy/cat.

I purchased two at a garage sale still new in their boxes for 50.00 each. They are very bomber proof, you can literally stand on one and not bend it. Temperature controls work very nice from simmer to high heat. Very simple design for the inside workings, brass valves and stainless steel burners. That being said, you will not be able to do any field repair work on them just by their design, so the stove is going to work or not work. My river stoves are Coleman white gas stoves and I can always fix them on the river. I have friends that own Partner Steel stoves and they will never part with them. I would go with the Partner stove it I were you, they are time tested. I bought the two Stand Sport stoves on a whim. I only used them four times car camping, worked great.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #7
btt

this was put in the other thread on this knock-off---first and foremost---try to find simple replacement parts like the burner heads(i believe someone already said they are welded in,not screwed on like the partner),or the regulator hose,knobs,etc. making it so cheep in china,especially for wal-mart,always has the trade-offs......the countdown to the landfill begins with your receipt. good luck--all you folks who've bought one,already,need to share their reviews,on its durability in real world,cooking for real crowds.....
btt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #8

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4

Quit shopping at walmart and youll probably stop checking out their web site
Old 09-21-2011   #9

portland, Oregon
Check out www.peopleofwalmart.com its more interesting anyhow
Old 09-21-2011   #10

portland, Oregon
Omg the smiley was created by WalMart. Theyve infiltrated the internets