Virtual bay for smaller cooler - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-06-2011   #1

loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Virtual bay for smaller cooler

So its that time of the year to start getting ready. I've got the frame out and starting to tweak the rigging and setup. Over the winter I remember reading a thread that mentioned a bay in front of the passengers (up in the bow) that used a 'virtual bay' to hold a smaller cooler. Does anyone use that setup or know the details of how its done? I like the idea of having a day cooler with lunch, cold snacks, and drinks right in front. It could also be a table for passengers. Does it work well? What are the downsides?

Thanks, Cy

cpollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011   #2

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
I run 3 coolers. I will try to get a pic to post. I run one 120 behind my front dry box and then a 60 on each side of my frame up front. The two on each side are easy to get in and out of for drinks and luch stuff.
Ladderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #3

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Her is a pic. Of my setup. Passangers ride on my front dry box and a cooler behind them. The side coolers make good arm rests on long days. Someone may say that you will lose your coolers if you flip. Well my father has the same set up and fliped a few years back with this setup and he didn't loose a thing. Run a cam strap on each side to keep it to the frame and then if your in bigger water put a strap all the way around so the lid does not open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2028060099.png
Views:	397
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	3279  
Ladderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011   #4

Ashland and Lake Almanor, state of jefferson
Paddling Since: 1997
good setup, peeps will be pullin over too let you pass with the front lookin that good. oh ya nice coolers....
kaya dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #5

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Are you talking about using a daughter frame that swivels off of the main frame?

The front bay on the left here moves with the flex of the boat:

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #6

loveland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandob9 View Post
Are you talking about using a daughter frame that swivels off of the main frame?

The front bay on the left here moves with the flex of the boat:

I was thinking of something much like this, but with a space between the daughter and the frame to allow people to sit on the end of the frame and have a footwell in front of them and then a smaller cooler in front of the footwell. Not sure if it would be better to extend off the main frame, or make a smaller frame to set in the bow and hold the cooler. I have three D rings up front to secure a smaller frame. Just looking for ideas. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2011   #7

loveland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpollema View Post
So its that time of the year to start getting ready. I've got the frame out and starting to tweak the rigging and setup. Over the winter I remember reading a thread that mentioned a bay in front of the passengers (up in the bow) that used a 'virtual bay' to hold a smaller cooler. Does anyone use that setup or know the details of how its done? I like the idea of having a day cooler with lunch, cold snacks, and drinks right in front. It could also be a table for passengers. Does it work well? What are the downsides?

Thanks, Cy
I tried a setup for the last trip and it seemed to work pretty well. Thought I would post a picture in case it gives someone else an idea. The family certainly enjoyed having a small cooler up front. The aluminum pipe also gave a good attachment point for small drybags etc. The setup is pretty simple. It is a sling held between two aluminum pipes. The front piece is threaded with a strap and attached to the front D ring. The back is attached to D rings at either end. The cooler rides in the sling with a strap around the sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nrsfrontbay.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	3693   Click image for larger version

Name:	NRS2011.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	3694