Varuna vs detox vs fun ??? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-07-2011   #1

Columbus, Indiana
Varuna vs detox vs fun ???

Looks like the fun is the most playable, and the detox is better at bigger water with the Varun somewhere inbetween.

For a river runner that can do class 4 as well as be fun and playable (obviously not to the level of an all out playboat) what do you guys like most?

Haven't been able to find much on the detox, but specs look nice.....why aren't more people using it? I'd really like to hear how it compares to the Varun.

Any other suggestions to look at as well?

seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011   #2
doesn't need a fake name

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
You'll probably find that the Detox is much less playful than either of those other two. It's much more on the creekboat side than the playboat side. With that said, you can frontsurf just fine, and spin on reasonable sized waves. Cartwheeling, looping, blunting, or any kind of more advanced move will take some skill but it is possible. I surfed the mwave in the detox, and wrote a little mini-review of it:

Pushing the Envelope: Playboating in the Detox - Fluid Kayaks Team

Which doesn't actually contain much useful information, just amusing photos.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #3

Columbus, Indiana
Maybe the Fluid Spice would be a better comparison then as I'm not really looking for a full on creeker. Just something that will handle class 4, and still be fun for tricks and surfing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Fun. It'll loop, cartwheel, etc and run big stuff.
Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011   #5

Columbus, Indiana
So from what information I have been able to gather, it seems like out of the boats listed below, there is a firm following of people that love each. I think I'm going to just have to go sit in as many of these as possible. Seems as though they are all designed with the same purpose and intent (a boat that can handle class IV (V in the correct hands) and can surf and play well on the way down).

Pyranha Varun
Jackson Fun
Fluid Spice
Liquid Logic Freeride
Wavesport Fuse

Anything I'm forgetting here?
Old 08-10-2011   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I don't think that anyone would choose to run V in any of those given the choice.
Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011   #7

Columbus, Indiana
Yeah.....I'm not planning on it (actually, I'm planning against it).

I'm really just needing a fun boat for c2 and 3 and the seldom 4.

Any other boats I should be comparing? Or notes from anyone on here about the differences between the ones listed?
Old 08-10-2011   #8

Blarney, Iowa
Why not just get a full on playboat then... if you playboat (do you)?

I'll run my Superstar through 2 and 3 and the occasional 4 with no hesitation.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011   #9

Columbus, Indiana
I'm just too inexperienced and not at that level as of now to take a full on playboat down c4.
Old 08-10-2011   #10

Blarney, Iowa
If that's the case I wouldn't take a Fun or any of those boats down class IV either; I'd opt for something like a Remix or Hero.

Edit: My concern is only this: from my experience river runners seem to be kind of a waste of money. They're a jack of all trades boat that doesn't do anything particularly well... if you're playboating you'll want a full on playboat; if you're running rivers (especially class IV) you'd rather have a longer, higher volume boat.

A river runner is good if you don't boat a whole lot and don't need the best performing boat. You can still learn quite well with them (perhaps better), but eventually you'll want to move on to better boats. I just like cutting out the middle man (saves money).
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote