Varun vs 4Fun vs Freeride- comments? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-05-2011   #1

seattle, Washington
Varun vs 4Fun vs Freeride- comments?

I am 6 feet, 170 pounds. I paddle mostly class III and normally paddle a Mamba 8.0, creek model. I mostly paddle in the Pacific Northwest which means log filled manky portages and often steep, slick put-ins even at popular spots. My Mamba is okay, but freakin’ HEAVY and long when you get all your stuff in there. So I have been looking at cross-over boats, although I rarely “play” outside of basic surfing. I am looking for a (mostly) river runner that is less bulky, less weight and more responsive. The Mamba may be “easy to roll” but it is a s-l-o-w roll. But I like the down river speed and the way it edges. But it is a beech to carry.

I’ve been looking at the Varun, 4Fun, and Freeride. I have paddeled a Fun (on the small side for me) and it was a slow boat. A friend with a 4Fun tells me it is the same, “dog slow” in his words. I am hoping folks here can share some thoughts on the Varun, Freeride and 4Fun. One strike against the Varun going in is that one has to shape a permanent bulkhead, which is kinda a bummer as I like to adjust that depending on footwear. The Freeride seems to be more of a play boat and so of less interest…but wadda I know?

Thanks folks for helpful advice!

mokelumnekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011   #2

Columbus, Indiana
Demo a Dagger Axiom and see if it fits the bill. Love mine. It's a surfing machine.

Faster than the others you listed, but a bit less playful (the ones you listed are all going to be about the same speed/play wise). But it's much more playful than the mamba. Super fun boat.
seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011   #3

Lake Charles, Louisiana
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokelumnekid View Post
One strike against the Varun going in is that one has to shape a permanent bulkhead, which is kinda a bummer as I like to adjust that depending on footwear.
It's not really a big deal. My only regret is trusting their lines on where to cut it. I wear a size 13, so I trimmed it to the smallest size. I ended up with gaps on either side. Anyway, I've swapped boats and gotten in with my medium size shoes...Teva Cherry Bombs and still fit. My bulky shoes don't fit in any of my kayaks! lol
RomanLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011   #4
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
I'd also demo a Wavesport Fuse. Plenty of foot room and superior outfitting. Great downriver boat for play.
Old 09-09-2011   #5

Arvada, Colorado
I have a Varun and love it. I have paddled the 4fun and do not like the outfitting. The connect 30 in the Pyranha is nice. Both are great boats. Demo both if you have the chance. Do not worry about the bulkhead it is easy to form.
lange718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011   #6

Arvada, Colorado
[QUOTE=lange718;248655]I have a Varun and love it. I have paddled the 4fun and do not like the outfitting. The connect 30 in the Pyranha is nice. Both are great boats. Demo both if you have the chance. Do not worry about the bulkhead it is easy to form. I will say the pyranha plastic does seem soft.
lange718 is offline   Reply With Quote