Upgrading military valves - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-18-2009   #1

Avon, Connecticut
Upgrading military valves

I've got a Hyside with the metal military screw valves. I'd like to change them out for Leafield C7s. Has anyone here ever done this? I know I'll have to cut out the valve boot, which will leave a sizable hole. Do I need to do an inside patch when installing the new valve in the tube, or will just gluing on an outside patch work OK?

Any hints from you repair experts would be appreciated.

avonraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009   #2

Seattle, Washington
I got into this a bit with an Avon that had military valves. I tried a couple of things, and generally had success.

First, I got the actual valve out of the boot. Then, using a head gun and pliers, I got the boot separated from the tube material, which leaves you with a ~3" hole.

I tried different valves in the replacement step. The first one was the Avon style recessed leafield which also amounted to a boot. I applied glue to the inside of the tube and the outside of the boot, 2 coats, let it dry to touch. Then I rolled the boot like a taco, got it inside the tube, and used the heat gun to reactivate the glue. Worked ok, but a fair bit of work.

I also tried using a Halkey-Roberts valve, and for these, I first cut a layer of fabric to match the size of the hole left by the old valve boot. I then cut a piece that overlapped the valve boot hole by ~2" on all sides, and glued the smaller disc to the center of that. I trimmed the hole for the valve, seated the valve in the 2 ply disc, then glued the overlapping section to the tube.

I don't know why you couldn't use just the larger disc, and be ok. but this worked fine for me. It's a lot of prep work to get things ready to go so the replacement is bomber, and I only used 2 part stabond for hypalon.

good luck -- love to see some pix when you finish it up.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011   #3

Glendale, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickhorn View Post
I don't know why you couldn't use just the larger disc, and be ok. but this worked fine for me. It's a lot of prep work to get things ready to go so the replacement is bomber, and I only used 2 part stabond for hypalon.
I am about to try doing this. This may sound silly, but how do you get the C7 installed - preinstall it in the donut?...or put the inside part inside the tube and deal with trying to get it lined up after the donut patch is on?
chakrasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2011   #4

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Why would you replace military with c-7? The military are much stronger, never break, can be rebuilt and are all around awesome. I have military valves in my raft and all my buddies are jealous that they never break or have issues. I've seen those c-7's break multiple times on on trip and the inner part is a super bitch on any trip.
powrider686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011   #5

Glendale, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
Many people swear by the C7 valves, maybe they are just fools (fooled)? I have not had problems with the military style valves, except when some bozo cranked one down too tight and popped of the inside tab. The boots are shot on my boat, and I don't want to deal with trying to glue new boots to the inside of my raft. This donut method seems way simpler and quicker by gluing everything on the outside.
chakrasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
I have an old Riken, and I'm not tired of the valves, I'm tired of not being able to find replacement screws for them. Anyone know who has screws for the old plastic military valves? Also would like to hear a report on how swapping them out goes....
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011   #7

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I've got an old Hyside with miliitary valves and boots that are/were dry-rotting. Looked into replacing them and most quotes were 250-300 per boot plus parts...

Instead I took the military valves out and smothered the whole boot with aquaseal that was thinned with cotol, re-installed the mil valves and covered the screws with more aquaseal. I think I gave my boat a few more seasons for about $7 in adhesive.

Obviously this doesn't help you if you hate military valves and must get rid of them...
Old 06-18-2011   #8

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
@ simpleman, you can get new screws from nrsweb.com as well as new boots and valves. super cheap like 50 cents. besides that I think their bomber and would never replace them for a c-7. just my opinion.
powrider686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011   #9

Mesa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by powrider686 View Post
@ simpleman, you can get new screws from nrsweb.com as well as new boots and valves. super cheap like 50 cents. besides that I think their bomber and would never replace them for a c-7. just my opinion.
Yeah, no shi7. Why'd raft companies quit using them anyway?
snakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011   #10

Vail, Colorado
I think you'll like the c-7 better. no idea how to change them out though. buddy of mine has a boat with military valves and has problems with them.
chop217 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hyside, leafield, raft, repair, valve