Updated Waterproof Camera Test - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-22-2009   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Updated Waterproof Camera Test

Check it out here:

'Waterproof' Camera Group Test (Q2 2009) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009   #2
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
It's pointless because the best two cameras for kayakers are the Pentax Optio W80 and the Panasonic TS1 and neither of them were in that test. Dpreview admits they were sad they could not include them due to timing.

The Buzz will allow .doc, but not .xls, so here is a screen grab of my comparison spreadsheet.

I have a TS1 in the mail. I chose the TS1 over the about-to-be-released W80 (which might be superior on paper) for four major reasons:

1. Excellent reviews off the TS1 versus good but not stellar reviews of the W60, the W80s predecessor.
2. Superior controls and user interface for fast shooting on the TS1 versus the W series.
3. Optical zooming during video (so sweet!)
4. Optical image stabilization on the TS-1 versus pixel shift on the W80. Optical is superior anyway and pixel shift decreases field of view during movie mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Waterproof-Cameras-July-09.gif
Views:	362
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	1762  
Old 07-22-2009   #3

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitAP View Post
It's pointless because the best two cameras for kayakers are the Pentax Optio W80 and the Panasonic TS1 and neither of them were in that test.
It seems to me that both of the cameras you refer to are in the review and they like the Optio W60 better than the W80. They give the TS1 and the Canon the best review with the W60 the runner up.
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
It's pointless because the best two cameras for kayakers are the Pentax Optio W80 and the Panasonic TS1 and neither of them were in that test. Dpreview admits they were sad they could not include them due to timing.
I posted the link to the UPDATED test because it now includes the W80 and the TS1.

P.S. DP Review said that the image quality on the W80 was worse across the board in comparison to the W60. So maybe it isn't one of the best cameras for kayakers. From DP Review.com:
Quote:
"Pentax appeared to have kept the attractive overall package of the W60 and increased the resolution and improved the video mode to produce the W80. The increase in resolution on such a small sensor and apparently inferior image processing saw image quality suffer at all ISO settings, and it was disappointing to see Pentax still not including image stabilization in this camera."
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #5
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Hah! That's classic... I didn't bother to click the link and assumed it was the last test which was as I described.

Well, now I'll go read the new one!
Old 07-22-2009   #6
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
After reading that, the Panasonic TS-1 is without a doubt the best choice on the market for kayakers. Glad I bought one!
Old 07-22-2009   #7

flagstaff, az
Paddling Since: 02
Quote:
After reading that, the Panasonic TS-1 is without a doubt the best choice on the market for kayakers. Glad I bought one!
How quickly does your Panasonic take a picture? From turning on the power and pushing the button, is it pretty quick? Or are you waiting as it turns on, focuses, etc. I know the reviews state these facts but I have a hard time thinking about 1/10's of seconds. Some of the other cameras are a bit faster, but again in 1/10's of seconds dont' know how much difference it makes.

It's the thing that drives me crazy about my current camera and why I want a new one: by the time it is ready to take the picture and captures the image, the moment has passed.
robks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #8

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2009
Looking at picking up a waterproof camera for kayaking...anyone have any luck with any of the GoPro Heros? Does the TS1 have time-lapse photography (not video)...full 12 meg pics?
bobmcclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #9

fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I just got a TS1. Video is great. Autofocus and exposure in low light stills is really bad. In fact inexpensive Canon did a much better job.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #10

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2009
Nice...I will be doing mostly bright light whitewater filming and still shots. Wondering if there were any good mounting options for filming and snapping shots on the go...

...and does the TS1 have a continual time-lapse photography that shoots in 12.1MP? Like every 1 to 10 secs it takes a full rez pic?
bobmcclune is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera