Tuff River Stuff Everything Bag vs. Stitches 'n Stuff Everything "Stow" Bag? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 02-18-2011   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Tuff River Stuff Everything Bag vs. Stitches 'n Stuff Everything "Stow" Bag?

Hey y'all!

I hope everyone's winter is going well and that you or someone you know may have scored a permit for something good recently!

I am in the mind set right now of what do I need (more like want) for the upcoming runoff season for my Maravia WWII.

I am leaning towards either the Tuff River Stuff (TRS) Everything Bag or the very similar Stitches n' Stuff (SNS) Everything Stow Bag.

Does anyone on here have experience with either one?

The SNS bag is slightly larger (46 x 36 x 54) than the TRS bag (46 x 40 x 4 for my size boat. There is a nice add-on feature to the SNS bag for $29 more for a top that covers the drawstring opening.

I am indecisive as usual and for an accessory for my boat that is $200+ I look to the boaters on the Buzz for any potential first hand experience that might help me in my decision.

I guess a good questions is whether you have one or the other, do you find it is sufficient space to carry all your dry bags, etc. for a week long trip? I usually have a decent size gear pile and it certainly would be nice to fit it in the Everything bag of choice.

Thanks for your good word!

let it snow!

-Cal

calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011   #2

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'm quite sure that Ray at TRS will custom make one to any size you want. I have one for each of my rigs. They're great.

I have no experience with SNS, but everything I've heard is that they do a great job, also, and will custom make anything.

Give them a call.
Old 02-18-2011   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
I've had two of the Tuff River Stuff everything bags. One on a 18 ft Aire Catboat and one on a Aire 143 self bailer. Ray made both of them to fit the boat. I have used mine a bunch and both still look like new. Pretty much bomber and all you do is load them up and pull on the hoopie. Ray makes bomber gear and I would never go back to not having the everything bag on my boat. Doubt if I will ever get rid of my 143, did sell the Cat boat. I expect the everything bag and Aire 143 will both outlast my rowing career.

I have a bunch of Stitches N Stuff gear. Mostly custom made bags for various gear. Jan will gladly work with you on anything you need. Her work has been bomber for the stuff she made for me.

Bottom line, you are dealing with (my opinion) the two best by a long shot people who sew boating gear that works better than expected. Both have done quality work for me and fun and easy to work with.

My suggestion is call up Ray and Jan and discuss your needs with both, then make your own call. You will get quality products from both.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011   #4
Adventurer

Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
I have the Tough Stuff bag and it is fantastic! It holds everything. I have used it on several 5/6 day trips carrying my gear and always get hit up to carry others as well. My bag has a top that covers the draw string, I think they call it a clamshell lid. I have a 15' nrs boat and have used it in bow and stern. It actually is too big to fit down in so it 'muffins' out. The only thing that ever failed on it was one of the cam's on the strap. Definitely worth the investment.
Old 02-18-2011   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Ray talked me into getting a custom bag for my boat instead of the large bag. He said it would fit perfectly.

He asked me when I was going to be on the river next and I told him 3 days. He said he did not think he could get it to me in time, it was on my doorstep the next day, with no upcharges.

The bag is great.
merritrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #6

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
How come nobody ever mentions the Barney Ship & Shore Bag out of Gladstone OR? Is that just an Oregon thing? They are really well constructed and just about everyone I know runs them as their gear bag.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #7

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I just did a Google search for "Barney Ship & Shore Bag" and got nothing. Do you have any contact info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
How come nobody ever mentions the Barney Ship & Shore Bag out of Gladstone OR? Is that just an Oregon thing? They are really well constructed and just about everyone I know runs them as their gear bag.
Old 02-19-2011   #8

C B, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Tuff river is the bomb!!! Colorado made!!! A block from the river.
I have some of his products and they last!!
Worked with Ray has a raft guide at R.R. for years.
He is great guy and his products are awesome.

Just my opinion, i could be wrong though.

Chris
goodnoughc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #9

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhyman View Post
I just did a Google search for "Barney Ship & Shore Bag" and got nothing. Do you have any contact info?
I did a Google search and found:

Ship & Shore Canvas (Barney bags)
Gladstone, OR 97027
503 236-0760
(No internet link)

This is on a website called "Guide to Rafting Resources," which was last updated in 2007, so there's no guarantee that Barney is still around. On the other hand, it's a simple phone call to find out.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #10

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
You can contact Andy and Bax in Portland. They carry them. Giant Naugahide bags with heavy duty zippers and sewn in straps. Barney needs a web presence if you never heard of them. Great bags for stuffing all your drybags inside ( they are not completely waterproof but other than 1/4 inch at the bottom of the bag and everything else stays dry). All shapes and sizes and made locally
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag